7x Series Minor and Major Changes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The injector pump is also different. Don't ask me how I know. :cry:

The head, block, crank, cam, valve cover, flywheel, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold are different. I think that about covers the differences. Everything else is the same. So while there are lots of similarities, there are also lots of differences.

This is an over generalization.

I am sorry Beno for messing up your thread by carrying on this 1PZ vs. 1HZ discussion. This topic really needs a thread of its own (if one doesn't exist already).

It’s was a joke between Deo and I since he just got me a used tilt steering column.

Tilt steering has been available since the beginning of the 70 series line.
Well that makes more sense to me, after I replied I was thinking about it, and said hey I had that on my 1985 model, wait a minute :)

Thanks,

Michael

Hello,

From the first page, it is worth noting that, back in 1984, Toyota designers had it clear that it was time for a change in the 40 Series design. Otherwise the model was doomed, at least in their view.

The new Nissan Patrol model is mentioned several times as an argument for an upgrade/modernization. What a surprise. Back in the day, I remember riding in a 1982 160 Series Patrol, a pleasant experience compared to the 40 Series I was used to. A valid point I guess.

It is interesting to contrast this view with Land Rover's conservatism. The shortcomings cited in the text are similar to those raised against the Defender in the years before its discontinuation.

On an interesting note, the front grille had TOYOTA replaced with the oval icon in early 1995. Many 1995 MY 70 Series were built before that date and have the old type grille. Trucks built after January 1995 have the new grille and share the model year, before production switched to the 1996 models. Therefore, used 1995 70 Series are available with both front grilles, depending on the production date. Something to consider when looking for a used truck from that year.

Juan

To bad Toyota decided to drop the mwb with the removable top.

It is also sad to know that the Nissan Patrol that was partially responsible for the start of the 70 series does not longer exist since a few years ago, let’s hope Toyota keeps the 70 series alive even if it is only in a handful places around the world!

On an interesting note, the front grille had TOYOTA replaced with the oval icon in early 1995. Many 1995 MY 70 Series were built before that date and have the old type grille. Trucks built after January 1995 have the new grille and share the model year, before production switched to the 1996 models. Therefore, used 1995 70 Series are available with both front grilles, depending on the production date. Something to consider when looking for a used truck from that year.

I might add that I have always liked the pre 1990 grills such as the one in my 1886 FJ73. 1990 is when they changed over to the “Resin” grill according to what Beno posted earlier.

The injector pump is also different. Don't ask me how I know. :cry:

Damn. Somehow I forgot to write that down. Absolutely it is different. There are lots of very major differences. I also forgot the oil pan. The pickup is likely different too. Even though they are based on the same design they are more different than they are the same. The only nice thing is that pistons are the same as well as bearings so rebuild kits will be around for them. If you mess up a major part like the crank, supplies will be limited.

The 1PZ sure did have a short production run. Makes finding any 1PZ specific parts rather difficult sadly.

Not really.

Very few parts have I come up with for my engine as NLA. The intake air hose is one, a 1HZ hose works. Bit of a tight fit but it works and looks good. You could also trim the 1HZ hose.

I think the block is NLA as well as the head. Valve cover as well. Radiator too but it is the same as a 1HZ rad. Not much else from my many many hours digging into parts books.

Cheers

Toyota likes Australia.
I remember when the 75 series first come out, it got rave reviews as far as comfort, but the lack of power for the diesels was still a let down. If only they had got the 12HT.

Ya but what you did get that almost nowhere else in the world got was HDJ78/79's.

Cheers

Guys. Let’s start a new thread if we are going to keep discussing the 1PZ. Thank you for your input as well. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom