79 Series Won't Start... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

Apologies if this issue has been covered but I have spent hours viewing threads without an answer. This site is normally very informative as I have watched it for years.

My issue is, I have a 2018 landcruiser model VDJ79R running the 1VD-FTV V8 Turbo Diesel. Listened to the in cab radio, battery went flat, charged battery, went to start only cranks but wouldnt start. Changed battery does exactly same thing, no blown fuses.,....any ideas?

Appreciate any recommendations. I own 6 odd cruisers but never had this issue.

Cheers

Hello,

Microprocessors, ECU ones in particular, are usually thirsty. If there is not enough juice for the ECU processor to operate, then it may block the start.

Immobilizers vary from one market to another. Worn contacts cause them to block ignition, because their ECUs interpret them as tampering attempts.

There might be an ignition cable or contact worn or loose.

This is a good chance to find and reset pending ECU codes.

Juan
Thanks Juan,

That was my train of thought also, considering it's a pretty basic rig without an immobilizer fitted to my knowledge thinking it may have been volt sensitive inhibiting start. kinda thinking there could be a connection issue as you have mentioned also. Fairly late model rig with no frills, so will replace battery and maybe plug an OB on it to check for codes.

Thanks Juan,

That was my train of thought also, considering it's a pretty basic rig without an immobilizer fitted to my knowledge thinking it may have been volt sensitive inhibiting start. kinda thinking there could be a connection issue as you have mentioned also. Fairly late model rig with no frills, so will replace battery and maybe plug an OB on it to check for codes.
They definitely have an immobiliser, all vdjs since they were introduced in 07 have had them. The red flashing car and lock is a dead giveaway.

Anyway, the no start issue was 99.999% related to running the battery down under the ecu cut-off voltage. The ecu must see a fully charged battery voltage for a specified time before it will allow start-up, as to not fry under a high current, low voltage situation.

They definitely have an immobiliser, all vdjs since they were introduced in 07 have had them. The red flashing car and lock is a dead giveaway.

Anyway, the no start issue was 99.999% related to running the battery down under the ecu cut-off voltage. The ecu must see a fully charged battery voltage for a specified time before it will allow start-up, as to not fry under a high current, low voltage situation.

Thanks bud, maybe I wasnt looking close enough but I've never seen that red flashing light pop up. The amber engine check light was lit but goes out as soon as it cranks but certainly no red light.

Thanks bud, maybe I wasnt looking close enough but I've never seen that red flashing light pop up. The amber engine check light was lit but goes out as soon as it cranks but certainly no red light.
Pull the keys out of the ignition and wait for 3 seconds, you'll see it.

Thanks Onur, ya learn something everyday day. I wasnt aware of that either. I have 24V set ups in my BJ and VX landcruisers and would have thought similar setups would have been used across most models.
They must be JDM models. Only places with cold winters get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom