77 diesel over injector (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please help.

It has been brought to my attention that my 'over injector' is not connected at all. He tried to explain the best he could in Spanglish. Along with my Spanglish I concluded its best to ask the experts here.
Can anyone help with the following:

1. Photo of the exact part
2. How to wire this (assume it needs to be on the ignition circuit)
3. Aside from electrical, where else does this thing connect to?
4. Are they durable or can I rebuild?

Finally, why is it needed if my bj is running fine (other than the mosquito killing smoke upon start up which is not a bad thing living in the tropics.

Jimmie

I suspect your engine originally came with an "overinjection magnet" to move the tiny little lever on your injection pump into the "over injection" position whenever your key is placed in the start/crank position.

So that person is telling you that this device is either not connected or missing on your vehicle now.

I wouldn't worry about it because many people on ih8mud have fitted simple "manual pull-to-stop-engine cables" to their engines (to be able to stop them independantly of the ignition key) while ignoring the "over-fuel/over-inject position.

It seems our old diesels will still start fine without the need for any over-fueling.

My 1979 BJ40 has what Toyota calls "the EDIC system". In this system a little motor moves the tiny lever on my injection pump between the three positions of "Stop" (fuel cut-off), "Run" and "Start" (over-fuel) depending on my key position..

InjectorPump2.JPG

:beer:

Hello Tom,

Good to hear from you. Yes, I have a pull switch to shut off the motor. I suppose they are use to seeing the operate and was not aware of my kill switch.
I suppose I could just remove this unit with no problems? Not a fan of having parts not needed attached.

Hello Tom,

Good to hear from you. Yes, I have a pull switch to shut off the motor. I suppose they are use to seeing the operate and was not aware of my kill switch.
I suppose I could just remove this unit with no problems? Not a fan of having parts not needed attached.

Is this the part you're thinking of removing:

OverinjectionMagnet.jpg

The above is from an old B-engine FSM.

:beer:

After seeing this thread I wanted to share my experience ('76 HJ45 LWB pickup) . I unplugged the single wire to my overinjection magnet and immediately noticed a difference in starting. The engine always started immediately without hearing the starter roll over at all hardly...but once disconnected, I could hear the starter turn the engine over before it would startup. I read up on it in the FSM and how the marks are supposed to be lined up, etc. and so I removed mine and cleaned it up and put some red paint on the needle/mark so that I could put it back in the right position,etc. My 2H has the EDIC motor, but I plan to keep the manual shutoff and the magnet, so I actually bought a brand new 12v one. I had ordered some valve springs for another engine and they had a NOS overinjection magnet on the shelf and gave it to me free of charge because the rubber was showing signs of cracking (the rubber boot). At any rate, I just wanted to share that for me, even in warm climate, starting went from instantaneous to hearing the engine turn over once....just by removing this magnet. I ended up putting mine back on as a result...thinking about using the boot from a shock or similar.

File_000.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom