73 J40/1980 3/4 ton GMC Pick up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I have a 73 J40 with a Chevy 350 and stock tranny/t-case. I've had an old 1980 3/4 ton GMC w/4 speed and granny gear(two wheel drive) pick up for a while. I'm going to junk the pick up since by J40 keeps me busy enough.

My question is.....What can I salvage off the pick up and put on my J40? ie: p-steering, front disc, rear end etc.

Let me know if you have any advice.
:cheers:
Tim

The only thing I see of any real use here is the PS box. From what I know, the best GM Sag boxes are 4-turn boxes from late 60's full-body cars (Impala). If you want to go to full width axles, then the 14 bolt will be of value. But you can pick them up dirt cheap to begin with. Same with the tranny; you can pick up a 4x4 SM420 very cheap.

Steering gears on GM 4x4 trucks will not work on a Land Cruiser for power steering.....

Gears do not mount the same as sedans..

:beer:

The only thing I see of any real use here is the PS box. From what I know, the best GM Sag boxes are 4-turn boxes from late 60's full-body cars (Impala). If you want to go to full width axles, then the 14 bolt will be of value. But you can pick them up dirt cheap to begin with. Same with the tranny; you can pick up a 4x4 SM420 very cheap.
Wow, you just saved me a ton of time. Didn't know the p.s. would not work.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom