70 series mirror repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody know how to re-assemble BJ74 driver's side mirror? I have it apart but
the spring has to be compressed to put the sirclip on. Is there some special tool
needed? I could cut the spring shorter or replace it with a weaker spring, but
I'd rather find a way to use the original spring.
~Bill

Three hands!
we rebuilt mine in the bush when the tree landed on it. Darren figured it out,
do you have a good one to look at while you do it? I remember there is a sequence
we buggered up and had to start all over. Don’t forget the stopper ball bearing either.
Mine is still laying in the mud somewhere west of Manson Creek. I’ll call him and see
if he can add better memory

Mine tore off at the marbles above Hale Creek and we taped it together with duct tape.
OK, thanks, it's back together now. The spring had to be compressed and tied tight with some
fine wire. Then everything was re-assembled using a C-clip rather than the bent up original
circular clip. Then the fine wire holding the spring was snipped and pieces picked out of the spring
with needle-nose pliers. An ordinary BB worked for the missing ball. Works like a damn now! :p
I hafta say that the whole unit is well-made, not like the flimsy POS on my RAV4 car.
~Bill

Mine was lying under a spruce, so didn’t realize the ball bearing was missing. But it was
hard to hold the compression and then apply the circular clip. We didn’t have any options.
I too am impressed at the build quality, I gotta get a ball bearing back in there

Mine was lying under a spruce, so didn’t realize the ball bearing was missing. But it was
hard to hold the compression and then apply the circular clip. We didn’t have any options.
I too am impressed at the build quality, I gotta get a ball bearing back in there
I guess it might be possible to CAREFULLY wedge open the unit with a screw driver and slip in the small ball
with a pair of tweezers if you can see the little channel where it goes. If the mirror still works as it is,
maybe just leave it and be happy that you don't have to take it apart again. There are supposed to
be 3 balls spaced evenly around the unit. Nobody around here has parts or 70 series mirror replacements
so you are on your own and will have to improvise. If you are in Ladysmith then you are not far from
master maestro Rob Millson in Chemainus who could do it if he had time.

Last edited:
I guess it might be possible to CAREFULLY wedge open the unit with a screw driver and slip in the small ball
with a pair of tweezers if you can see the little channel where it goes. If the mirror still works as it is,
maybe just leave it and be happy that you don't have to take it apart again. There are supposed to
be 3 balls spaced evenly around the unit. Nobody around here has parts or 70 series mirror replacements
so you are on your own and will have to improvise. If you are in Ladysmith then you are not far from
master maestro Rob Millson in Chemainus who could do it if he had time.
LOL! The maestro has done enough for me this week, although I will call him for one more
small thing shortly. I have a nasty collection of LH mirrors, they seem to be the vulnerable side!
I traded a PTO for an as new functioning electric LH mirror with Keith in Victoria.
I had not thought of prying itapart slightly. I will, see how it goes. It is currently held with electrical tape. Sophisticates duct tape!

LOL! The maestro has done enough for me this week, although I will call him for one more
small thing shortly. I have a nasty collection of LH mirrors, they seem to be the vulnerable side!
I traded a PTO for an as new functioning electric LH mirror with Keith in Victoria.
I had not thought of prying itapart slightly. I will, see how it goes. It is currently held with electrical tape. Sophisticates duct tape!
You have to be careful when prying because the upper part is polyethylene and could break. the lower half is metal and tough.
Maybe use a wide blade carbon scraper so that the prying force is spread out over a larger area.
Pry in only enough to get the bb in the area facing the front of the vehicle and one in the area facing the rear of the cruiser. That
may be enough to do the job with a little spray-in lithium lube. Good luck and don't bust it! If you are talking to the Red Reefer,
remind him of the job he's got pending with my truck one of these dayz...

I was just thinking that if you get a friend to grasp the mirror and tilt it slightly, you could
maybe get room enough to slip in the bb without need for a screw driver or scraper. Less
chance of cracking the poly.

I’ll try to take a look at it today. Was messing with driving lights last night.

I thought land cruiser stuff was supposed to be simple? :)

It is, just like their owners..and if I have 3 I’m even more so

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom