'69Fj40 wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have '69 FJ40 that looks like it was pieced together from several trucks ranging from '69 to '76. The wiring fried forward of the dashboard. I am having a hell of a time getting it right from the Haynes diagrams since it is from all of the different years. Is Painless the way to go, or is there a cheaper way. Also looking into a push-button starter. Also wondered if the painless harness included the alternator/coil/starter wiring?

somewhere on here I believe theres a thread with some info on cheaper options than painless, one kit and sources for wires to do it yourself. If you have any wiring experience Id get a new fuse block and do it yourself, get a factory manual though, Chilton diagrams left me wondering what to do often rewiring with the painless. havent heard a bad thing about Painless after its installed, once I get mine finished Im sure itll be worth the $300 so I spent on it. Gives you a place to start if you know nothing about wiring. Painless is a generic harness though, so things like wiper switch to wiper motor, blinker switch to hazard switch and such have to be made up.

I've used wiring harness's from painless before and they are well worth the money, I think a 5 year old could probaly understand their easy and straight forward directions. I haven't bought one for my cruiser yet, but its on the list.

I went the cheaper route of JTOutfitters harness by a company called Kwik Wire. Spend the extra money and go Painless I wish I had the money I saved by buying cheaper was quickly lossed because I had to buy all of the connectors. It looked like somebody just grabbed a handful of random connectors of different sizes and just tossed them into the box. Plus, the instrucitons are very hard to understand, it might be because of how generic it is, but even then it contradicts itself in places and doesn't explain itself in other places. Basically unless you drive a Ford, GM, or Mopar car your up to yourself in too many areas. Im not familiar with Painless so I can't speak of it but I have heard nothing but good things.

Painless does not have toyota specific instructions either, its aimed at Ford, Chevy, Mopar, etc. least in the instructions.
Id say its well worth the money, but dont expect a snap in harness, its not. It was my first time wiring anything and I figured it all out eventually but it took some time.
Another thing: solder every connection. If you use your old plugins solder them to the painless. Ive gone back in and done this after putting it in and having butt connectors pulling out under my dash. they give you connectors but I wouldnt use them if i had to do it over again.

I will have to go with the old style 1 wire rewire. I like to do it myself cause I then know what exactly I have done so repairs or additions can be done easily. Also I have alot(some may say too many) accessories and it was nice to have them wired in to my main system. I have extra for anything I might want in the future and I know what color means what and is not spliced 4 times with three different color wires. I have never used a painless or any other but your askin for opinions and if you got the time it is and excellent vehicle to learn on.
Just my 2 cents

Eternal 70 40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom