65 fj45swb buying opportunity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a chance of buying a unrestored 65 fj45 swb tomorrow. I have not been able to see or touch it physically yet. My question to you folks is what should I be looking for that sets off red flags as far as restoration and what kind of value would you put it at personally.

IMG_3236.jpeg

IMG_3235.jpeg

IMG_3232.jpeg

IMG_3233.jpeg

IMG_3242.jpeg

There's obviously some rough spots like the floor and back of the cab. I was told the engine cracks but doesnt run. And its unknown the last time it ran

IMG_3231.jpeg

IMG_3230.jpeg

IMG_3234.jpeg

IMG_3240.jpeg

IMG_3241.jpeg

It looks really ruff. If the price was right I would buy it but I am sucker the SWB 45s. Just know before hand that truck is going to need a lot of metal work. It looks like a challange. That 45 model doesn't pop up for sale very often. Good luck with your purchase I hope the seller is asking a reasonable price considering condition.

It looks really ruff. If the price was right I would buy it but I am sucker the SWB 45s. Just know before hand that truck is going to need a lot of metal work. It looks like a challange. That 45 model doesn't pop up for sale very often. Good luck with your purchase I hope the seller is asking a reasonable price considering condition.
That's one of the reasons I want to buy it. I'm a sucker too. I've been looking for one of these for almost 10 years and this is the first to pop up. My grandfather had an opportunity to restore a 64 fj45lwb he found on property he bought and it came out gorgeous. I was hoping I could try to do the same thing

20190707_140744.jpg

20190707_141548.jpg

Does he have titles for any of them?

They are rare, but they do come up occasionally. This one just sold, and is the nicest survivor in recent memory.
You'd be more $$ into this one even if he gave it to you. I share your pain, I'm from Maine as well. It's worth it to ship a dry truck from out west, you'll be $$ and a TON of time ahead. I'd recommend giving this one a pass.

Way ahead with this one 63 SWB Fixed Roof 45

Last edited:
Does he have titles for any of them?
I spoke with the seller this morning. Nice guy. I didn't ask about the titles, but Maine does not title vehicles older than 1995, so unlikely.

It is a rare shorty removable top that should be saved, but that rig is going to take all your money and time! Sad to see these in this shape. Out here in California they can sit in the weeds for 30 years and have little to no rust . He probably thinks it’s worth 10k!! It’s a $2500 parts rig at this point.

I spoke with the seller this morning. Nice guy. I didn't ask about the titles, but Maine does not title vehicles older than 1995, so unlikely.
Very nice guy. And he does not have titles. Where abouts are you in maine? You join the maine land cruiser owners of maine?

It is a rare shorty removable top that should be saved, but that rig is going to take all your money and time! Sad to see these in this shape. Out here in California they can sit in the weeds for 30 years and have little to no rust . He probably thinks it’s worth 10k!! It’s a $2500 parts rig at this point.
Sad but I cant disagree. I know I'll kick myself if I don't buy it and kick myself less if I do.

Very nice guy. And he does not have titles. Where abouts are you in maine? You join the maine land cruiser owners of maine?
I grew up in Bar Harbor. Parents and brother still there. I am active duty Navy, in Virginia for another 2 months until retirement, then I'm headed to MDI for the summer. Settling in NH in August, so I'll be sure to join the Maine, NH and VT groups.

As @Tank5 said there will be a significant amount a metal replacement. And most of that metal replacement will require manufacturing, not something you can just go buy and bolt on. I paid $4500 for my earlier SWB fixed top 2-1/2 years ago, and it had/has less metal loss than this one. I’m still working on it, everything needs to be made from scratch. This rig looks to have a fair amount of the bolt on things (e.g seats) compared to mine, but they too will need rejuvenation. I’d estimate to get it to what that 45LPB looks like and fully running you’ll need to invest around $15k (if you don’t have to add manufacturing tools or pay someone), $20-25k if you have to add significant tooling (welder, brake, bead roller, etc,), no $ included for your time; $35k-$40k if you farm out significant amounts of work (Sheet metal, paint, engine rebuild, etc.). JP @ClemsonCruiser sold an incredibly restored SWB recently in the high 30k’s IIRC, maybe you can touch base with him. GL.

Last edited:
As @Tank5 said there will be a significant amount a metal replacement. And most of that metal replacement will require manufacturing, not something you can just go buy and bolt on. I paid $4500 for my earlier SWB fixed top 2-1/2 years ago, and it had/has less metal loss than this one. I’m still working on it, everything needs to be made from scratch. This rig looks to have a fair amount of the bolt on things (e.g seats) compared to mine, but they too will need rejuvenation. I’d estimate to get it to what that 45LPB looks like and fully running you’ll need to invest around $15k (if you don’t have to add manufacturing tools or pay someone), $20-25k if you have to add significant tooling (welder, brake, bead roller, etc,), no $ included for your time; $35k-$40k if you farm out significant amounts of work (Sheet metal, paint, engine rebuil, etc.). JP @ClemsonCruiser sold an incredibly restored SWB recently in the high 30k’s IIRC, maybe you can touch base with him. GL.
I was going to mention @ClemsonCruiser and his recent SWB build. this Thread. See where he started, then the work on the bed, etc to get it right. Final product was a thing of beauty, but the work was substantial and the starting point was closer to the Oregon 63 I linked above.

But I’m really curious about that traction bar on the front?/rear? axle. @whitey45 is that anywhere common on cruisers let alone 45’s?

Ah, plow👍
uh oh, bang bang (chitty chitty) 😆
DBED859C-4B79-4CB3-9EF4-C32DE9A933DE.jpeg

Sadly as Whitey said that’s a parts truck at best unless you just have endless time and shop full of metal fab tools.
If you want to restore a SWB be patient a find a good one out west. You will pay a premium but you will save much time and money in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom