63 FST Tie Rod, Fuel Sending Unit, Brake and Tailight Issues (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No. No place to put the banana. :banana:

Well I pulled the 40 out today and found I had a leaking fuel pump. So....will the new fuel pumps fit an original 63? Would love to rebuild the original one at some point but mine is different than nuclearlemons on his rebuild thread. I'll try to get pictures.

Hi, all. I was referred to this thread by @Old Red from a question in my thread in the 40 tech area. After poking around a bit here in the 25 area, looks like I may find more info on mine here, might see about having my thread moved here.

Related to this thread, my 40 shows on the data plate as being a ‘64, with a frame number beginning with a 3 indicating 1963 build. For comparison, mine is also an FST, with PTO winch in bandaid color. Frame 3-FJ40-19054, originally sold in Oregon in November 1963. Definitely seems to be an early ‘64 by all the physical details. Same as the subject truck here. I will be watching this thread with interest.

CE39AC37-FD2E-4A24-ABFA-EF7ABC1485B9.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi, all. I was referred to this thread by @Old Red from a question in my thread in the 40 tech area. After poking around a bit here in the 25 area, looks like I may find more info on mine here, might see about having my thread moved here.

Related to this thread, my 40 shows on the data plate as being a ‘64, with a frame number beginning with a 3 indicating 1963 build. For comparison, mine is also an FST, with PTO winch in bandaid color. Frame 3-FJ40-19056, originally sold in Oregon in November 1963. Definitely seems to be an early ‘64 by all the physical details. Same as the subject truck here. I will be watching this thread with interest.

If I remember correctly, the build date on your carburetor was from the beginning of ‘63.

If I remember correctly, the build date on your carburetor was from the beginning of ‘63.
Thats interesting, Mark. I looked but didn’t see the date code on the carb. I’ve been guessing a mid-summer build date, maybe it was earlier than that.

63cruiser - Your rig looks awesome in those neighborhood pics of the classic houses. Great job trying to figure all this dated stuff out, keep the faith brother!

But that Tbird on your hood is wasting gas mileage for you due to the extra wind resistance it causes. I'd be willing to take that off your hands to save you a few bucks on fuel :p

And those hubcaps, they'll just get rocks inside them and make terrible rattling and clanging sounds, and since you have an FST they'll be especially noisy. And you have to remove them when changing tires, such a pain in the you-know-what. I can help you with those as well. :p:p

Last edited:
Thanks @middlecalf. I am still relatively new to all of this and any future changes will be sloooow as i spent just about all of my available funds on getting it to this point. She drives great (well that might be an overstatement but i love it). Simple things like shocks and leaf bushings are up next. Not sure if those have ever been changed out. Lucky to have found a garage to keep her in as we don't have one. Also, when i bought my top i got some extra fabric for the doors to match so i might do a rebuild of those this winter. Hopefully i can reuse the perimeter seals but i think i need a set of the 1/4 window gaskets and those are kind of pricey. I wouldn't say i am a patient person but i am learning to be one as there is always something to do and often not enough $$ to do it. For now, i think i will keep some of the goodies like the double sided turn signals and tbird even if they aren't original.

@oregon fj - i will try to answer or take pictures of whatever i can for you. Not 100% sure everything is original but if i can help i will. As an FYI i had all of the FST hardware but bought my top from Trollhole. Also, you appear to have a rear back-up light or something. Funny because i have what appears to be the same light that some PO put on the dash.

Quick question for the wise ones, when I turn on my headlights, my vadar light comes on. Is this normal? Was that ever a switched light? If so, does anybody have any pictures of how it is switched?

The vader light is a single wire, self-grounding light. In mine, it was connected to a cheap aftermarket pull switch in the dash. Other threads make it appear that there should have been a larger pull switch for it, possibly in the same spot as mine and that should have a black knob that may or may not be marked “ROOM”.

Since yours comes on with the headlights, it is either wired directly to the lighting circuit (probably at the headlight switch), or it still has a switch that is in the ON position and that switch is wired to the light circuit. Since it only has one wire, it should be simple to trace it back to the source.

Last edited:

Can't tell you definitively what is right, wrong, or normal. But here are some pictures.

First, from the September 1961 Toyota Land Cruiser parts catalog you can see the the lamp assembly depicted as part "AA."

fullsizeoutput_4b.jpeg

Second, part "AA" is described on the following page of the same parts catalog as "Lamp assembly, dash."

IMG_0068.JPG

Third, the wiring diagram printed in the 1961/1962 Toyota Land Cruiser Owner's Manual shows a wire connected from one pole of the "Lighting Switch" to the "Dash Lamp."

fullsizeoutput_4e.jpeg

That wiring diagram shows it connected to the same terminal as the gauge illumination lights, so that would be the terminal marked “M” (Meter) on the rear of the light switch. Connected that way, it would come on any time either the parking lights or headlights were switched on, but not in the other position which turns on only the rear tail lights.

Not sure how it would be wired if it had a switch from the factory, but I’d guess the switch would be between the headlight switch and the room light. That is probably how I’ll do mine, since I already have a hole in the dash for a switch. Done that way, you could turn it on and off separately, but it would still only work if the lights were on.

Further, this Toyota Land Cruiser Owner's Manual, which I think is for 1966 models . . .

fullsizeoutput_4f.jpeg

. . . shows on page 5 a picture of a "room light switch" and describes that it is wired on FJ40V and FJ40LV models only. There is no wiring diagram printed in this owner's manual.

fullsizeoutput_50.jpeg

So at some point Toyota added a switch to operate (separate from the headlight switch) what many people call the "Vader" light and Toyota has variously called a "dash lamp" and "room light."

The question is when---either at what date or with what VIN---was that point? I don't know the answer.

Ok, that’s interesting. Assuming that the above pictures (like most in the early owner’s manuals I’ve seen) are of RHD models, the aftermarket (replacement?) switch in mine was in the LHD mirror image spot in my dash. The hole in the dash is quite possibly original, it doesn’t look as roughly drilled as the other previous owner holes.

Of course, mine is a 40L, not an LV. I’m assuming the L denotes LHD, but what is the V for?

The "V" designates a "Hard Top" model.

From the same 1966? owner's manual . . .

fullsizeoutput_51.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_52.jpeg

63cruiser - Your rig looks awesome in those neighborhood pics of the classic houses.

had to go back and look but yes, it does look great. especially with what appears to be a craftsman home (behind that 4runner looking thingy on the right)

The vader light is a single wire, self-grounding light. In mine, it was connected to a cheap aftermarket pull switch in the dash. Other threads make it appear that there should have been a larger pull switch for it, possibly in the same spot as mine and that should have a black knob that may or may not be marked “ROOM”.

can't claim to be an expert, but never seen the switch marked when it was separate. my 62 has the vader light off the headlight switch and it's on with headlights and marker lights (both turns to the left), but off when off and to the right (rear lighting)

Of course, mine is a 40L, not an LV. I’m assuming the L denotes LHD, but what is the V for?

v = van

can't claim to be an expert, but never seen the switch marked when it was separate. my 62 has the vader light off the headlight switch and it's on with headlights and marker lights (both turns to the left), but off when off and to the right (rear lighting)
Good confirmation. That’s how it should work if it was connected directly to the M terminal of the headlight switch as the wiring diagram shows.

Little update on my quest to find some lenses for the dual turn signals my 40 has. I questioned @ToyotaHeritage in Australia. His response is below.
"Many thanks for your message here and also in the forum.
We had commenced working in these lenses just as the year was coming to a close.
A local enthusiast here in Australia is able to support us with housings and test fittings etc.
All being well I hope to have the lenses on the market by end February.
Stay in touch and also follow us on Facebook where we also have a J40 parts group discussion page.
Kind regards Gary

Hopefully, we will have a source for these lenses soon. Not sure on cost but it looks like the lenses are typically around 60/set on their website.

AF907328-9FE7-4398-A3A3-6E4BB7FEBAD1.jpeg
can't remember who, but someone owns the rig three numbers older than annie and his is a 1962 titled as a 1962. therefore, his rig was sold to a dealer before annie, even though anni is older.

That would be me

@63cruiser did you buy this from Luke B ?

Make sure the lenses are the screw in type. It seems that some early rigs in Australia had dual sided turn signals with lenses with three screws on both sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom