60 on a 7K# car hauler?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ran this question on the 60 forum and trailer forum, so I thought I would ask the Hoosier's since I know some of you trailer you rigs.
I also ran a search with no luck to my question. I am looking to buy a open car hauler for my 62. I don't want to go overboard with a 10K# trailer. The next size down is a 7K#, which is 2, 3,500# axles. The dry weight of most of these trailers is around 2K# plus or minus a little depending on the length, floor material etc. Of course the 7K# figure is to include the weight of the trailer. So if you throw a 62 on there, I'm right at the max or a little over. What do you guys use, that use open car haulers?
Thanks,
Tom

Tom my trailer is a 7000# just like you are looking at. I got it from my brother in law who bought it new. He and I have hauled almost anything you can think of with it and have had no problems or issues. The heavyest loads I have seen on it was a FULL load of railroad ties( front to back about 6 high all the way across, and I pulled a broken down one ton service truck full of tools home for a family member. the trailer had no issues with these loads, or many heavy loads of gravel or sand.

Besure to get one with brakes on atleast one axle. My floor is wood and needs some boards replaced for the second time in 15 years.

Mark

I don't currently haul my truck, but I have hauled many a vehicle in my day. I had an 18' 7 7,000# trailer with 4 wheel brakes. Like Mark, I have hauled 7K or 8K on it plus trailer with no problems. The worst problem you can have is to pull it with a small vehicle, you don't want more weight pushing the tow vehicle then it can handle. I saw a guy pull a full size Chevy on a trailer with an S-10.....Let's just say it got ugly. Don't forget, most of the weight goes to the front of the trailer. Later, Tony.

Thanks for the input guys, very helpful. I'm not too worried about my tow vehicle, '89 F250 7.3L diesel 4x2. It's not a Powerstroke, but has very low miles and a decent truck. A few guys on the rest of the forum insist a 7K# trailer would be foolish and unsafe.

Mark, what does your 40 weight and is your trailer 18 ft.?
Thanks!

Tom, sorry it took so long to get back to you. My trailer is only 16 foot and I'm not really sure what the weight of my 40 is.
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom