Ford 6.0 liter powerstroke turbo lag (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am wondering if there is a way to GREATLY reduce the turbo lag on the 6 liter. I already have an AFE intake, Edge tuner, and bullydog exhaust. It just seems like when you hit the gas, it still takes a long time to wind up, even on the higher tuner settings,once it does, it is great. I have a buddy with the 7.3, and they seem worlds apart, and he just has a superchip. Any help or insight is appreciated.

Replace the turbo with a ball bearing design..

Have a look at the turbo and try to spin it by hand... ensure there is next to nothing for drag. If the bearings are tight(not sure if that can happen prior to failure) but it might be harder to spool. I would think if the bearings are about to go and are causing drag it might be close to it failing...

Has it always been a dog on the bottom?

Power strokes use bushings..

Yes, it has always been a dog at bottom, that's the reason for the intake, exhaust, and programmer. It is an 07.

Those motors are all turbo to begin with.I am impressed by the numbers theyput out but not by the perfomance. That being said check out www.thedieselstop.com

I go there for all my Ford questions, its like MUD for oil burners. :D

Thanks,
that is exactly what I need, advice on where to go. I posted here b/c I always get good answers, even if the answer is go to...

Have you done the EGR disconnect trick and cleaned the turbo ??

I wouldn't disconnect the EGR @ 5000 miles. I wouldn't clean the turbo either. The 07's we have are getting recalibrated, each and every one. BTW, the intake and exhaust don't help with lag. I have had numerous intakes on my 6.0 and I'm back to a donaldson set up. Anything else lets to much big crap through the turbo.

The EGR valve pulls exhaust gasses out of the passenger side uppipe and recirculates the gasses back into the intake to reduce engine emissions. This has a negative impact on power in two ways. First, the exhaust air is much hotter than the air from the compressor side of the turbo after it is intercooled. The EGR system has a cooler on it, but from all literature i have read the gasses from it are still an average of 150 to 200 degrees hotter. Hot intake gasses negatively impact performance.. Foremostly, however, is the fact that the gasses are drawn from the uppipe. The lost quantity of gas is that of which COULD be spooling the turbo; therefore by disabling the valve, 100% of the exhaust air is being put through the turbocharger, thereby reducing the time it takes to spool up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom