5 speed MT LJ78? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
I think this is the first 5 speed manual transmission LJ78 I've ever seen for sale in Canada (or seen at all for that matter).

http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles...-Landcruiser-5-speed-Prado-W0QQAdIdZ526382686

It's got me thinking about what it would take to make my LJ78 into a manual. Anyone know?

Can I use a 4-runner manual transmission? R151 or something? Would I need different drive shafts? I guess the EFI system built for the auto would not be happy? Would I have to go with a mechanical injection pump from a 2LT II engine?

I'm starting to hate my A343F more and more as I realize how much power it wastes at speeds under 70km/hr (before the torque converter locks). I also hate towing with it. I think the reason fuel economy is not the best with these in the city is because of the auto.

I'm almost tempted to buy the banged up Prado, and swap the manual trans bits into mine. But it's not in the budget at the moment...

Could you not use everything from a 5 spd surf? It would be sweet to have a lj78 with a 5spd and dual cases.

Could you not use everything from a 5 spd surf? It would be sweet to have a lj78 with a 5spd and dual cases.

Surf parts command more money, but I suppose that is an option also. I was hoping that I could use 4-Runner parts as they are much cheaper even if its the same thing.

Does a LJ78 in that condition command that kind of price in Canada?

I've never seen a 5spd one, and I've never seen one with body damage. So really there is nothing to compare to.

Usually the bodies are in good shape, and the engine has either been repaired or is dead, haha.

Offer him less.
Swap the stuff over and sell the prado at a cheap price to recoup the costs. I could see you so it for a cheap enough price.

Just for the record ... my KZJ78 is manual ... and still running strong! Love the feel of the MT compared to my Tacoma.

IMAG0091.jpg

Offer him less.
Swap the stuff over and sell the prado at a cheap price to recoup the costs. I could see you so it for a cheap enough price.

That is very tempting. I'm going to have think on it.

Just for the record ... my KZJ78 is manual ... and still running strong! Love the feel of the MT compared to my Tacoma.

I'm jealous man. KZJ78 MT would be a sweet machine.

An LJ70 West Germany spec came through the shop yesterday and it had an R151F installed.

Interesting. I was starting to look into what transmissions the LJ's came with. I was wondering if they came with the R151F or R150F. I guess that answers my question.

You could always make up a controller for your auto. Manual TC lockup in all gears with a brake activated inhibitor. Crank up your line pressure a bit....
Ever changed the fluid in it?
Its a bit of work to swap in a manual, the parts for the clutch pedal bracket alone were like 280 from toyota japan. Not to discourage you or anything. lol
I say if you want it, go for it! I'd never go back to an auto, ill say that. But I cant say Id want to convert another one......:D

You could always make up a controller for your auto. Manual TC lockup in all gears with a brake activated inhibitor. Crank up your line pressure a bit....
Ever changed the fluid in it?
Its a bit of work to swap in a manual, the parts for the clutch pedal bracket alone were like 280 from toyota japan. Not to discourage you or anything. lol
I say if you want it, go for it! I'd never go back to an auto, ill say that. But I cant say Id want to convert another one......:D

That's an interesting idea, never thought of that. :hmm:

Yeah, I dropped the trans pan and did a full flush shortly after I bought the truck. The trans runs really good actually. But I still can never avoid the fact that it's auto. On the plus side it's nice in traffic in town, it's also nice for wheeling. It just sucks when towing is all.

The only way I'd swap manual in is if I had a complete donor like the one above, then I'd have all the bits and pieces I needed. It would be a lot of work though, I agree. I think I'm just going to live with the auto for now. Dream upgrade truck will be a KZJ78 manual, or an HZJ77 manual...

Do a search on here. I remember reading a thread that a guy wired up a controller using simple switches, relays and LED indicators for a torque converter lockup controller as well as manual gear selector. Made it drive more like a manual. It would let you lock it up in whatever ever gear you want(except 1st and R usually).
Usually it will only lock up in OD at a certain speed and if you load it up (i.e. pedal down up a hill) it will kick out of lockup, almost feels like a gear change, but its just slipping the converter creating heat instead of forward motion. My pajero did this to an extreme any time you gave it more go on the freeway. annoying.

Keeping the TC locked up means better economy, less heat build up in the tranny fluid AND better engine braking on descents (especially in gears besides OD)

As long as you dont abuse the lockup, like leaving it on in town, its a really good way to maximize your transmission use, and is a good option if you do a bit of towing.
I also remember reading about a way to increase the line pressure(what presses you clutch packs together) a little bit which would extend the clutch life a bit longer.

anyway, thats my input for the day.
cheers

P.S. I know that guy thats selling that LJ78. I helped him sort some issues with his turbo hilux one day. He bought it for super cheap off some spoiled kid that ran into trees and dented the body up. and when it wouldnt start up again he said FOR SALE! lol
Its decent for the price hes asking. I think its got a locker....

Last edited:
You can throw a manual into the LJ78, however the cross member support for the trans is in a different place and also the manual is shorter than the auto so the drive shafts will need modding.
The surf transfer case is not the same as a Prado one....So you would need to keep yours and just find a Manual gearbox .

As for the trans controller for the auto... I have done it using the factory gear lever and a few switches..
I have a thread on here about manualising the A340E auto.... and there is a pdf with what I did...
Have fun.....

Last edited:
Thats not too far to get to go to look at a cruiser for me. Let me know if you want me to check it out.

Just seen that one too enticing...

Was thinking itd be a good candidate for a ute bob and a merc diesel......
Or whatever.. lol

Last edited:
my LJ73 has a 5 speed and I'm personally quite satisfied with the power, feels the same or more than a BJ70 to me. fun little truck and I'm determined never to overheat it. ;) I don't blame you at all for wanting to swap the 5 speed in. good luck

Thanks for the input guys. Turns out I'm going to have to pass on that super good deal that 77cruiser77 put a link to above. Spoke with the wife and she knocked some common sense into me. Just not the right time to put more $$ into my cruiser. Put too much in over the past year since I bought it. Just going to have to wait for the right time to do a 5-speed swap.

In the mean time I'm going to look into the manu-matic modification that kbushnz wrote a guide for. That will get me by until I have more time and $$ to do the 5-speed.

For some reason I just never thought many of the 5-speeds were imported to canada at all. That is what really suprises me. And now I've seen three for sale in my province in the last month alone. Rare that one can be had for $2000 though. Someone here should really buy that thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom