4WD won't engage... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys

Not sure what's up w my ride - looking for some help/ideas!

I have 07 w AT, I can shift the 4WD lever into 4H & 4L smoothly - however, it's not engaging in the Tcase.
I thought maybe the auto hubs just weren't working, but seems the front drive shaft isn't spinning at all.

Additionally - no green indicator on the dash.

Oddly enough I can lock the rear diff in 4L, but ATRAC doesn't want to cut on...

Any ideas?

It's been semi-eventful driving around town today.
The city of ATL only owns like 10 Snow plows!
Which really isn't that big of a deal; I don't blame them cause we never get snow like this, but we're running on 4 days of impassible roads...

Ok, I have done some searching and found two good links (albeit on the blue room! - just joking, good info is good info!)

Problem with front Diff engaging after regearing - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

Front Differential Actuator Repair / Replacement - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

In theory, my problem is that the actuator motor leads have disconnected from the little motor - a soldering iron and some time should hopefully address my problem...
Only thing is now I have to drive back home in 2WD - not sure I'm up for the trail fix version here at work! ha!

Thanks 1911 for your great write-up!

So Jared, hopefully your drive home was uneventful.
We used to live in northern VA near DC and folks there had trouble when an inch hit the ground.

Good find Jared. Yeah, its a pain in the @ss but fixable, in a nice, warm garage.

Yeah - if only my FJ would fit in my garage!!
Maybe if I let all the air out of my tires....

So Jared, hopefully your drive home was uneventful.
We used to live in northern VA near DC and folks there had trouble when an inch hit the ground.

Thanks for the concern - made it back just fine.
If anything my pride was just hurt when I tried leaving the neighborhood this morning and couldn't make it up the icy hill - and of course there is a dude shoveling his driveway - I just had to slide back down...that was an early tip off that my 4wd wasn't working.

No - the snow/icy is mostly gone - and it's too cold to crawl around on the ground.

Hopefully this week I'll be able to get to it. 10 month old twin boys kinda limit your free time...especially on the weekend when daddy's home!

I have very recent & intimate knowledge of this procedure. PM me if you need help. FYI, be careful when taking the ADD actuator itself apart. The parts inside are mostly plastic and if you are not gentle when you separate the plastic half from the cast alum half, you'll break something and be very unhappy.

Thanks Rick - I'm hoping to get away w the short cut and just pop off the cover (carefully!) and see that the leads had become disconnected...a little soldering and I'll be back in business.

If that's not the case, and I have to dismantle the whole thing I'll definitely hook up with you!

i have a similer probelm with mine. If I go to 4 HI my green light wont come on. My rear locker does in 4Lo and it works but no green light.
Another thing is that when I hit ATRAC no lights for that come on. If I turn on the car and it runs for 30 mins the green light starts to blink while in 2WD..

WTF

albeit on the blue room! - just joking, good info is good info!

:lol:

Yup. There's a ton of good technical info there. But at the same time, the place has earned a special name for a reason.

Something seen on the brown room.
BleucheBagCentral.jpg

BleucheBagCentral.jpg

:lol: There's something for everyone on the interwebs!

I might have to steal "Bleuche Bag" for my sig over there.

When it showed up, I laughed so hard I think I might have hurt my whole left side

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

There's a reason I tolerate the scortching case of herpes you gave me...and that's laughter, the best medicine.

:lol:

Yup. There's a ton of good technical info there. But at the same time, the place has earned a special name for a reason.

BleucheBagCentral.jpg

BwaHahAhAhaHaHa!
I love it!

^^^^^ Well if it ain't the sheep pusher himself.
Howdy buddy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom