4WD System in Prado KZJ78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning/afternoon/evening guys,

I have some questions concerning the KZJ78 Prado 4x4 system.

I got a 1995 Prado at the beginning of the year and I'm the third owner. I must admit that I didn't know a lot about the car then and may have missed a few critical checks during purchase.

Anyway, those are bygones and I am where I am.

The problem I've been having is that the front wheels were previously not being powered, even after switching on all the buttons (H4, Hub Lock, and even in low range). After searching in the forums, the first culprit was the electric hub locker which we replaced but still the issue persisted. So we opened up the front diff and found out that some of the gears were completely worn out (or removed by previous owner. Some do that). So once that was fixed the front wheels are now being powered, but with concerns as spelt out below.

The bone of contention now is when and how the 4x4 system should be engaged.

So I come here looking for a clarification (call it schooling) of how exactly the 4x4 system should work in the KZJ78:

a) What does the H4 button do? Or what should it do? My expectation would have been with the H4 button pressed, the car should power all wheels. So if I raise the car and "drive" it, all the 4 wheels should move. This is currently not happening

b) Can H4 button be used independently of the hub lock button? I took the car to the dealer and they insist the hub lock button should be pressed along with the H4 button for the 4 wheels to turn.

When I press H4 and Hub Lock, all the wheels are powered but the left front wheel spins much much faster (not sure why) while the right spins like it's someone is applying brakes on it sporadically. If I hold the left front wheel, the right front wheel spins more consistently.

So back to my question, if I have to turn the hub lock button for the 4 wheels to be turned, then what's the purpose of the H4? My expectation is that the hub lock is just that, to force the front 2 wheels to turn at the same speed.

c) Should the front wheels spin when I engage low range? Currently I also have to press the Hub Lock button to spin the front wheels even in low range. As above, the front wheels do not rotate at consistent speeds

d) The dealer mentioned that there should be actuator next to the front diff and it appears to have been removed. Is that an/the issue?

e) Suppose I find myself in a ditch where the rear wheels are suspended while the front wheels are on solid ground with perfect traction (it has happened before) what mode should I use to get myself out? Since I found that I can stop the front wheels spinning by simply holding the wheel even when it's on low range and the hub lock button is pressed, my confidence in the offroad capability was seriously eroded.

I think you are confusing hub lock with diff lock. To answer your questions:

a. The H4 button switches a vacuum solenoid that shifts a gear in the transfer case to engage the front driveshaft. On models with electric hubs, there are some interlocks in the 4wd control electronics, IIRC the hub button needs to be pressed before the H4 button will work & I think you need to be stopped or below a certain speed before the hubs will switch.

b. The electric free wheeling hubs connect the drive axles to the wheels (or not if they are disengaged) Your dealer is correct.

It is normal for one wheel to spin & not the other when a vehicle is run on jackstands, check that you don't have anything really dragging, but there only needs to be a small amount of friction for the differential to send all the spin to the other wheel. You will be able to stop one just by holding it. However if you have a mate hold one then go try & stop the other one from spinning... well, just be sure to have somebody videoing you :D

The H4 button & Hub lock buttons are separate so you can leave the hubs engaged & switch between 2WD & 4WD, for instance if you are switching between dirt & tarmac often you would want to change 2WD/4WD on the fly but leave the hubs in so you don't have to stop to let them engage.

The hub lock does not force the front wheels to go at the same speed. It just connects the drive axles to the wheels, the differential still allows the wheels to turn at different speeds (unless you have a diff lock & engage it)

c. Yes. AFAIK most Landcruisers with the H4 button will switch into 4wd when low range is selected. Obviously you also need to have the hubs engaged to get drive to the front wheels.

d. Your dealer would have been referring to a differential lock. Some Landcruisers came with these from the factory. They are easy to spot as there is a actuator unit with an electric motor on it bolted to the side of the differential. There will also be a switch on the dash.

e. Press both the hub lock & H4 buttons & you have 4wd, shift into low range if you need to go slower.

Cheers
Clint

Thank you so much Clint.

You have answered all the questions, and quite satisfactorily, I might add.

I'm glad I was wrong on everything :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom