4th Gen 4runner front spring issues?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Has anyone who owns, or just knows in general, have any issues with the front springs on a (mine is a 2005 V8 SR5 4Runner) 4 Gen runner? It looks to me (at 28K miles) that the fron springs may be softening or sagging, so that the front tires have a slight negative camber angle and the front axle shafts seem like they are not perfectly flat and point upwards slightly from the axle housing to the wheel.
Anyone know if there is a known issue with these springs, or does anyone know if by chance Toyota uses the same front springs for the V6 as they do in the V8, which is a heavier engine so maybe that might cause this??

Thanks for your help and advice any of you might have!!

Have you noticed any camber wear on the tires? Also, get on level ground and measure the ground clearance from the front diff. It should be about 8" or so (according to this site, mycolorado.org/ground_clearance.html )

I personally have not heard of any recalls or anything for this issue.

Hi P Nut, Thanks for your reply...
I measure about 7" and no weird tire wear yet...but I rotate them regularly. Maybe not enough people have let their Toy dealer that there is a possible issue...or maybe it's just me.?

Thanks!

Stock, the CV's go UP to the wheels. With a OME suspension lift, CV's are about level.
Stock, it is sprung for comfort. If you think you need new springs, there are probably a ton of basically new ones you can get from owners that went to aftermarket suspensions. but the cv angle is a normal condition as you describe it.

I believe the V8 uses slightly firmer springs, I forget exactly. It's been a while...

Hmm... Did you check out the rest of the specs on that page to make sure everything else was lining up?

Front diff: 8"
Angled crossmember: 8.5"
Body seam: 16"
Transfer case: 10.5"
Gas tank: 9.5"
Rear diff: 9.25"
Front fender: 34"
Rear fender: 35.75"

If all of the other measurements are the same, then maybe it is some sort of a suspension issue. Also, stupid question, but you did check to see if your tires are at their regular psi, right? :D

Worst case scenerio, it'll be a good excuse to get a lift. :D

I will go out and measure the rest...although foir the rear of the veh...I have a bunch of my carpentry tools in it, so I will stick with the front meas'ies until I empty out the tools. Yeah all tires are at recommended pressure, and no tire pressure warning light has come on to tell me otherwise, although I do check 'em manually.
Will let you know about the meas'ies.

and thanks to first toy for that good info too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom