4Runner to Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm the original owner of a Gen 3 ('96) 4Runner and getting on in my years. Part of that is losing flexibility and getting in and out of the drivers seat is becoming difficult.
The roof, by design is low and craning my neck and spine isn't fun. Once inside, everything is still great.

Thinking about picking up an 80 series LC, but don't have access to one to see if getting in and out is better. Seems like it should be, with a taller roof and more upright sitting stance.

Any advice? Is it worth pursuing?

TIA

I don't think an 80 will suit you, I find it comparable in size to the 3rd gen.

In your case a GX or older tundra would be the ticket

Super helpful. In my tunnel vision, I never gave the Lexus a thought, but it looks like it could be a great fit.

Thanks so much

I'm the original owner of a Gen 3 ('96) 4Runner and getting on in my years. Part of that is losing flexibility and getting in and out of the drivers seat is becoming difficult.
The roof, by design is low and craning my neck and spine isn't fun. Once inside, everything is still great.

Thinking about picking up an 80 series LC, but don't have access to one to see if getting in and out is better. Seems like it should be, with a taller roof and more upright sitting stance.

Any advice? Is it worth pursuing?

TIA

Unless you desire the space and solid axle suspension, don't push it at all.

Those were my 2 reasons for switching from a 3rd Gen 4Runner to an 80 Series Land Cruiser just last month.

Mind you, the 4Runner rode on King 2.5's front and rear, Durobump stops front and rear, rear offset lower links. extended travel cv axles, and more goodies so it was done just right (for me).

Going to the Land Cruiser, you get a much more punishing ride mainly due to the solid axle. It's also a lot louder inside so NVH is a bit worse than the 4Runner. Doesn't help that I'm on 35's but I feel that's only one variable.

IMG-20210827-WA0006.jpg

This thread is kind of old, and you may have made your decision real already, but if you haven’t decided yet, have you considered a 100 series? I know the 3rd gen 4runner pretty well (my son drives a 98 manual) and I drive an LX470 (100 series LC, Lexus varient). If being more comfortable, yet still capable is your goal the 100 is a great choice.

I had to buy a new vehicle and wanted a 4x4. I sat in a few 4-runners gen 2 and gen 3 and had to crane my neck to the side too. This was around 10 years ago and happened upon an 80 series and can sit comfortably in that. I haven't sat in a 100 or driven one but have no complaints with my 80. I am sure if I drove a 100 I would notice a comfier ride but I alway thougt the 80 was comfortable.

I;ve owned both, and I can say that the seat in the 80 is much more comfortable to me, and it feels roomier. but they are comparable in overall interior space for the driver

I’ve just added a 3rd gen runner and it rides way nicer then my 80. Getting in was about the same.

Look at the 100-series/LX-470, which is also IFS. They actually sell much cheaper than the 80 series because of the front end. You’ll keep the 4Runner comfort with much more interior room, and a really nice interior if you get the Lexus.

A GX460 is a bigger 4runner with ample door opening and headroom for taller people. Extremely comfortable to ride in and drive. Give it a spin!

OP has definitely made a decision by now, but it's always fun to read peoples preferences.

I always thought 3rd gen runner was narrow and rode like a pogo stick. An LC of any generation would always be my choice.

That's what started my love of Toyotas

IMG_20190420_205755_129.jpg

OP has definitely made a decision by now, but it's always fun to read peoples preferences.

I always thought 3rd gen runner was narrow and rode like a pogo stick. An LC of any generation would always be my choice.
While I miss my 3rd Gen, I’d never trade out of my LX470 to go back to it. But it definitely helped me so how capable and how reliable Toyota are off-road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom