4Runner 4.3 engine swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well my 3.0 died for the last time at gulches this weekend. So I'm going to do what I should done when returning from Iraq instead of patching up the 3.0. I have a 96 4.3L vortec that came out a friend's S10 (he swapped in a 5.3L) and a 97 Blazer that has a blown 4.3 but a newer 4L60E trany. I'll be keeping the Toyota dual t-cases with advance adapters t-case adapter and the same for engine mounts. The 4.3L that I have came with a set of JBA headers but I'm not sure if they'll work in the 4Runner, so more then likely I'll have to get a set of custom headers or use the stock GM manifolds. As for wiring, that one is still in the air because there are so many ways to go. I've seen a few shops online that will make custom plug in play harnesses but they are pricey. So there's about 75% of the plan.

Here's where I'm at with this swap. I pulled the Toyota's 3.0, trany, and t-cases today. I'll be cleaning up the 4Runner's engine bay this weekend by removing all unneeded wiring and whatever else I willnot need. I will also be pulling the 4L60E from the Blazer this weekend. It's at my wife's brother's house in Andrews along with the good 4.3L. I'm going to bring both of them back so I can go through 4.3L and I have to drop the 4L60E off at a trany shop to have the output shaft changed.

Does anyone have a cherry picker(engine hoist) that I can use for a week or two?

The 4Runner is also 2nd on my list of things to get done. I also have to fix my wife's 03 VW Jetta TDI that has a blown head. I have that engine pulled apart and waiting for the head to come back from getting repaired.

I am going with a harness/chip/ECM from Affordable Fuel Injection for my TPI. They are the only company I have found that offers a plug and play setup that eliminates the EGR, VSS, and knock sensor.

They can get everything you need for about $500.

Good luck with the project. :popcorn:

Jeremy

"I'll have to get a set of custom headers or use the stock GM manifolds."

I have been told you will have to do custom headers on this type of conversion because the stock manifold are very hard to squeeze in.

Don know how realible that info is because this came from a guy who put on in a 1980 4 Runner with solid front axel.

Obiviously similar but not exectly the same.

Let me know how this goes.

good luck with the project. I really like the 4.3 that I have in my 94 pickup. I kept the 5 speed maual and with the Howell wiring harness for the CPI.

What year 4.3 do you have? Which motor mounts do you have? I'm going to with Downey for the mounts and t-case adapter.

I pulled the 4L60E from the parts Blazer that I have. The 4.3 that's in the parts Blazer have a huge hole in the side of the oil pan. That really doesn't matter cause I only got the blazer for the trany and few little things. I haven't ordered the adapter yet but once I get the adapter I'll take to a trany shop to have the rear output shaft changed. I've also been told to have corvette servo's and a shift kit installed too.

Does anyone know of any good trany shops not far from Beaufort?

I don't know if you have the parts to get your speedo working. I have a downey signal generator and signal interface if you can use them. I couldn't get them to work on mine since the 94 has an electronic speedometer. I don't know what you need with that chevy transmission, but let me know if you can use any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom