45 Short Bed With TH350 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone got some photos of how they fit a SBC 350 / TH350 in their 45 PU? It looks like there is going to have to be A LOT of cutting to get the TH350 in there. I have the AA adaptor, and with it, the transfer case is not even in the stock tunnel opening. It looks like even the stock support under the tub will have to be re-worked. The Downey adaptor (anyone have one for sale?) looks like it would help, but not a fix all.

I was thinking of a body lift (I don't really want to do this) but that would not even be enough room for it to fit.

Thanks
Shawn

Look in your build thread and found the following picture. I assume you have this cut out for the tranny / trans? I looks like you replaced the entire floor, and just wanted to make sure of what I see here.

You also relocated the gas tank correct? Is this why?

Thanks!

attachment.php

Nope. I just replaced the floor in front of the tool box. The PO had cut out the fuel tank area. I put it back. he also cut out the trans tunnel all the way back. I did use most of that for the longer transmission. I just made the trans tunnel hump go all the way back by adding a section in the middle.

Shawn,
How far back did you mount your SBC? I'm kind of surprised the SBC/TH350/stock t-case won't fit without major floor mods. I know the AA adpater for the th350 is long, about 6" if I remember correctly but the th350 is the shortest of the gm autos. I had this combo in a 40 with no floor mods needed. That being said, the 45 opening could be shorter, but I was thinking they were very close to the same early 40 I installed this combo in.

On my 45, I made some major floor mods, but that was with a SBC/700r4/Toybox/Tcase. This combo, from memory, was numerous inches too long (maybe 6?) to fit nicely without mods.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/116839-1964-fj45-lb-rb1-project-16.html#post5059856

Here is my 67 FJ-45 LWB. No mods to my sheetmetal with my SBC T350. Older mounts done by previous owner. I am in WLA if you would like to come by and check it out.
P6190020.JPG
P6190025.JPG
P6190021.jpg

Last edited:
I am trying to put the motor as far back as I can in order to clear the larger rad with a serpentine belt setup, but even if I moved it all the way forward, I would still have the same problem.

I too am trying to mount the trans as high as possible so it is not a rock catcher so to speak. I would love to have a flat belly, but I know that is not going to happen

Gumby: I would love to see some photos of the work you are doing. Why are you lowering it if it was already in there up high?

Ghetto Fireman: What adaptor do you have? I am in San Bernardino. Don't get down that way too much. However, I might take you up on that offer. Do you have some inside photos?

Thanks!
Shawn

Shawn Russell said:
I am trying to put the motor as far back as I can in order to clear the larger rad with a serpentine belt setup, but even if I moved it all the way forward, I would still have the same problem.

I too am trying to mount the trans as high as possible so it is not a rock catcher so to speak. I would love to have a flat belly, but I know that is not going to happen

Gumby: I would love to see some photos of the work you are doing. Why are you lowering it if it was already in there up high?
Thanks!
Shawn

Mostly I wanted to keep the floor where the fuel tank was. The floor pan is bumped up to clear the transfer case on the passenger side. With the auto the transfer case is 6-8 inches back of the bump. You can move the bump, make a new one, or mount the case a little lower.

flat belly is not a concern for me with this truck. If I made a different mount I could have gotten pretty close to flat. The trans pan and transfer case output are above the frame. In order for the mount to go below the front output the mount is pretty tall in the middle

The pig has a 203 doubler, which is very tall. The mount for that goes over the front output. The part that bolts to the transmission output is flat. It's more complicated, but tucked up better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom