40 rim repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
I have a set of OEM 40 rims that have pitting around the edges of the rims, but without a cutaway, I can't say whether the damage extends into the bead sealing area or not.

Has anyone tried and had any luck with restoring this type of damage?

It's just rust repair. If the pitting goes through they need to be welded up and blended.

Cosmetic pitting, fill with jb weld or something like that.

It's just rust repair. If the pitting goes through they need to be welded up and blended.

Cosmetic pitting, fill with jb weld or something like that.
Thanks Johnny, that was the answer I was hoping for. I wasn't sure about the effectiveness of epoxy filler, given that the tire machines run a tool around the bead area.

I'm looking at Weicon Plastic Metal A epoxy. primarily because it's designed for industrial use. Not that JB weld or Devcon, or all the other stuff like that wouldn't work, but since the mass market stuff isn't intended for industrial use, I think the manufacturers would be a lot less concerned about product failure due to improper packaging/handling, before I got it, than an industrial product; and besides, it's made in Germany, so it will naturally be far superior to anything made anywhere else.

The cost is considerably less than what I'd need to buy in point-of-sale blister packaging in order to cover all four wheels. I think I can get by with 1/2-lb (for $33) - the pits are numerous, but small. I hope to have some left over for my lathe and grinder rebuild projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom