4-sp to 5-sp tranny upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All-

I have a '81 bj42 w/3b engine and a 4-sp tranny. The tranny needs to be replaced; I would like to upgrade to a 5-sp. Does anyone know of any problems doing that?

You'll need to change driveshaft lengths of course but other than that it's probably OK. Some BJ42's from '83 or later came with the 5 speed so it's got to be possible.
The tranny mount is apparently slightly different for the 5 speed due to the front driveshaft location. A four speed mount MAY hit the driveshaft on extreme articulation.

yep, like he said, not a huge deal, shifter comes out a little further back, ( assuming you get one from a 60 )

and the crossmember has a dip in it on the 5 speed ones. so it's good to get that too if you can.

only other thing is the frame crossmember, that yoke shaped one that's at the rear of the tcase, that gets in the way a bit sometimes and needs a bit of clearancing.

cheers,
ryan

My BJ-42 has the factory 5-speed. It rocks. Good luck with your conversion.

Thanks for the info everyone! Does anyone have a 5sp they'd like to get rid of?

Find one for the BJ42 so you have the right shift tower.

well, I have a sacked one in the back field that had a crossover tube between the tranny and tcase that looked like it was filled with mercury....;p

honestly I don't know if it's worth waiting for a 42 5speed tho. rare as snake****, and unless you're super anal about keeping everything stock to the last detail, it's not a big deal. cut the hole a few inches back, and fill in the previous one.

"1976 HJ-45; 1984 BJ-42; 1988 BJ-73; & 1993 KZJ-70."

Sweet collection of vehicles, dieseldog!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom