4/2 Pott's Mountain run: Any interest? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
4/2 Pott's Mountain run: Any interest? (or another location)

Any interest? I know this is last minute, but the group from another forum (https://forum.ih8mud.com/va-bay-blue-ridge-cruisers/461040-potts-mountain-2.html) seems to have lost interest. I scheduled to have this weekend away (I have family and can't take off at the drop of a hat). If this falls through...it will likely be a while before I can get out again.

This is my first trail ride with the 80.:popcorn: It's a bit of a hike down there. I was banking on driving down early on Saturday, hitting the trail for the day, and hitting the campground for the night.

Here's information from a previous group that made the trip.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/trails-events-expeditions/81133-virginia-run-april-1st-potts-run.html

Edit: If anyone is interested in hitting somewhere local instead (i.e. a quick day/afternoon run), I'd be happy to give that a try.

Last edited:
I am not equipped for Pott's Jeep Road, I'm afraid, except by mountain bike.

I would be game for a run though Tasker's Gap and the surrounding area (like where everyone went on Feb 26, but without the tickets please). Driving through water entertains the 20 month old passenger to no end.

I did Pott's Mtn. in a Cherokee on 31's (granted I needed to get dragged over one ledge). The average vehicle on mud would have no problem.

May take the family out to check it out. I have sliders and factory skids. All that remains is convincing the wife.

Your truck will be fine. I didn't even have skid plates on the XJ. I wouldn't run it without a second vehicle though, just in case you need a tug. :2cents:

There is a camping area nearby though, so it would make a good family outing.

Your truck will be fine. I didn't even have skid plates on the XJ. I wouldn't run it without a second vehicle though, just in case you need a tug. :2cents:
outing.

Are you sure? The video looked a lot tougher than a slightly better than stock rig could take.

Are you sure? The video looked a lot tougher than a slightly better than stock rig could take.

What video? The links all look dead in the one thread. There's a main trail and obstacles that you can take. When I ran it in '07, there were only a couple spots that gave my open-dif XJ a problem. If my old XJ could handle it on 31's, I'm sure that a run of the mill 4Runner, Taco, or LC (most have 285's+) can too.
DSC01566.jpg

There were obstacles (i.e. this one) that the average person isn't going to go near.

DSC01552.jpg

It does look like the trail has been altered since then though. Yeah...from looking at the videos on youtube, it almost doesn't look like the same trail. Hmm...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/potts-mountain-jeep-trail-va-several-pics-797866/

We started at the trail head.

DSC01531.jpg

Last edited:
I was just checking out youtube vids. And i am sure people only film the trickiest parts, but they looked pretty tough, and in need of a lot of clearance.

Yup. I likely didn't see those spots because we stuck to the main trail. Granted 80's and 100's have more clearance than an XJ....but I still wouldn't run that without skid plates. That's just my $.02 though. I need to get sliders one of these days.

I think we'll come by and check it out. What time are people meeting there?

I'd also be up for a run through Tasker's Gap late morning/afternoon. I have one spare pass for that, so if we're one pass short there is no need to drive all the way to Edinburgh.

No one confirmed. The bunch in the other thread flaked out. I've got a 5hr drive down there, so I'm not driving all the way down there unless I've got some assurance that I won't be running it alone. Where are you coming from?

Edit: I'm out. I'll see about joining an organized group some other time. :beer:

Last edited:
Cool. Hopefully we can link up with some others at the trail-head. This being opening weekend for that trail, I would imagine that others will be there.

If this changes to a run further north at the last second, I'd love to tag along. Looks like that place is a little far for a last minute day trip.

The place we're hitting now (Taskers Gap) is up around Front Royal. It's about an hour and a half from you (the same distance for me). We're meeting up between 0930-1000, if you're interested. Distance wise, it's do-able for a day trip (whereas Potts Mtn isn't).

I'll check in before I head out the door. If you're interested, let me know. :beer:

I should have gotten up earlier I would have been up for that. Next time I guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom