3rd wheel that can turn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought a swivle caster with a pnuematic 8" wheel with little "mud terrain" tires.

I plan on welding it onto the bottom of one of the swivle jacks above.

Check with boat trailer supply places they make what you are looking for.

Rezarf <><

Here is what I have....
It is a Bulldog leg as DDude's link shows. The swivel caster is a Bulldog product as well. Unfortunately Bulldog doesn't manufacture that type of leg with the swivel caster on it.

I cut the sand foot off, drilled two holes, and placed the swivel caster on it. I got the idea from Mario @ AT IIRC. That is what they do. so I did the same. I just picked one of the legs that met the height requirements needed and cut away.

Last edited:
If you look at the photo there is a boss sticking out that has two holes in it. The boss is on the right side of the picture. There are two more drilled 90 degrees in that boss. When you do not want the Jockey Jack wheel down you just pull the pin and swing it down. When you want it up, you just pull the pin and move it up.
There is another Boss that you will have to buy when you get your Jack Jack. It weld to the frame of the trailer. You can get them in two different diameters. One will allow the jack to slide inside of it and the other allows the jack to slide around the outside of it.

Unfortunately most of those standard tongue jacks aren't sturdy enough to allow you to push the trailer around 180 degrees on soft or rutted ground. I've found that they are fine on hard surfaces and ok on hard-packed gravel, but otherwise they are hopeless. If you are stuck on a really tight trail, a tongue jack probably won't help you anyway.

If you really want to do this, buy the heaviest folding tongue jack you can find, with the largest diameter shaft, and make a set of double _castored_ oversized "floation" wheels that you can install for the rare times you have to do this off road. The rest of the time the wheels can ride in storage (maybe on your roof rack, if you have one) and your regular small wheel can be installed.

It's usually better to maneuver the trailer by "jack-knifing" it (turning it 90 + degrees to the truck), disconnecting, moving the tow vehicle and reconnecting. Usually you can do a complete U turn in one operation, but it might take two. It is SO much easier to push the trailer around using a truck than by hand.

A telescoping tongue "may" make this easier, depending on how far around you can get your trailer now. If you extend the tongue it will let you go way past 90 degrees, which makes the next step easy. Unfortunately a longer tongue also requires more trail room to swing the trailer. It's best to keep the tongue as short as possible while still letting the trailer go past 90 degrees. If you want information on how to make a telescoping tongue, search here or ask. There are some of us who have done this mod.

BTW nice trailer! Do you have more pics? Do you ever go to North Africa? If you can give us some more detailed information we might be able to help more. And we really do want to see your trailer ;)

Also BTW, to post an image here, just click the "Insert Image" icon (looks like a mountain scene), paste the complete url of your picture, and click OK. On your post you will see the tags appear with your url between them. The pic will appear when you Preview or Post.

[IMG]http://home.comcast.net/~johnedavies/LX450-020.JPG

John Davies
Spokane WA

Last edited:
@D'animal: thanks a lot! I didn't look well at the photo :eek: but now I understand
I'll make it myself.
The wheel on my image is bigger so it's better for soft ground.

(thanks John for the image-tip)

pc080129mh7.jpg

Well, over there might be a little harder.. I'd check with your local golf course equipment supplier. Most tow behind(tractor mounted) accessories have the same type support/jack. We have them at my shop from several different sources. provnost trailers, which are from somewhere in europe, not sure where, uses them. They make large dump trailers, multi axle and can dump from 3 sides, whichever you chose..
Also I believe vicon from norway(speaders) has some tow behinds that use these too.
Good luck, hope this helps,,
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom