3F PCV Routing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Polecat

SILVER Star
Threads
Hoping to get confirmation of correct routing of PCV and vent lines on my 3F. I have an FJ43, but I’m pretty sure the engine came out of a South American 70-series.

Here’s current state:
B7C9DD53-992D-491A-BCFC-B4DEA580C2FD.jpeg

PCV routed into air intake, other vent port capped.

I had no reason to think twice about this until I noticed both the PCV grommet and hose routing to the air intake were seeping oil. When I started looking for the part numbers to replace, no diagrams seemed to match what I was looking at. Now, since pulling the PCV out and determining that it’s gummed up, the engine seems to run rough, especially when cold.

I think the capped vent should route to the air intake where the PCV is currently routing and the PCV should instead route to the intake manifold (yellow arrow)
460267BB-75A5-4D55-A387-753C02416E4B.jpeg

Is that correct? Or should I just replace what’s there now and call it a day?

Found a few diagrams and parts lists looking across Toyodiy.com, jp-carparts.com, and megazip.net that I think are helpful.
2CE23475-AF6D-49BE-B6A0-8EA64BB65A22.png
E6D79739-4331-4B85-809F-CE557A56FDEF.jpeg

My primary question now is where exactly the PCV should route to. Is it the currently capped port with the yellow arrow?
FAB51B9B-A300-492F-9F8A-555E37F275D9.jpeg

So, the port that’s plugged? Forgive what may be a basic question, but I can’t wrap my head around why someone would put it together the way it is. Thanks

the parts diagram in your pic above is correct for routing, of course that diagram shows the more common intake and filter setup, but the ports and routing to them is correct.

With the front vent on the valve cover plugged how did the engine run, I have a 3FE and mine is blowing oil out of it a highway speeds I was thinking o just plugging up like you did but am concerned about blowing the gasket seals from too much crank case pressure.

Your intake manifold looks significantly different from my Japanese spec 3F (FJ62). On mine there is a plate with the PCV and EGR ports that bolts in place of that plug, but your intake doesn't seem to have that feature. If I'm not mistaken, your intake looks to be from a 2F motor.

1670005779232.png

-Rob

how did the engine run
That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out!

In all seriousness, the engine ran fine initially. Possibly seemingly a bit underpowered, but I'm not usually in a hurry when I take it out. Now that I've started screwing with the PCV, it's pretty sluggish, especially before the engine warms up. Have never had to use the choke until now. Probably even more importantly, there are quite a few oil leaks - crank case, distributor o-ring, etc. Hoping that relieving some of the pressure will slow down some of the leaks, especially the ones that aren't easily addressed.

Your intake manifold looks significantly different from my Japanese spec 3F (FJ62). On mine there is a plate with the PCV and EGR ports that bolts in place of that plug, but your intake doesn't seem to have that feature. If I'm not mistaken, your intake looks to be from a 2F motor.

View attachment 3183747

-Rob

Thanks - good observation. I've come to the same conclusion (that the manifold is from a 2F). Not completely illogical considering that would have been the original engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom