3b new injectors, unnecessary parts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My bj73 has 260k on the odometer. She began to run a little rough and has a little white smoke when the fuel is turned up. I thought about getting injectors pop tested and rebuilt, but I set a new injectors online was almost the same price. So I ordered the new injectors. Yes they're out of China.
My engine is on its third head at least. The head on the engine when I bought it was incorrectly assembled valves too large for the valve pockets yet it's seated and ran on the shoulder of the valve and not the seat. Upon removal of the old head and disassembly there was nothing underneath the injectors no washers no seals just the injector screwed in the hole.. this is my first 3B so I didn't think anything of it just thought it was strange. I put the injectors into the new head the same way with nothing underneath them. It seems to run fine for the most part if I don't turn the fuel up. Fuel economy has never been more than 20 miles per gallon in this vehicle since I've had it..
Upon looking at the parts catalog when deciding to order new injectors I saw they're supposed to be an injector seat and sealing washer underneath the injector. Mine does not have these yet it runs pretty much fine. I am ordering them to put underneath my new injectors. There is another thread with a lot of concern posted about these parts. For anyone out there at a total loss on what to do it will run without them, right or wrong as that may be. I also have a couple extra parts with these new injectors that I did not previously have there is a small washer with two holes and a big rubber gasket not sure what to do with these? Pictures attached.

IMG_20210114_215553.jpg

IMG_20210114_215526.jpg

Seeing as the injector seat and seal are available from Toyota here in the US, I would definitely take advantage and get them in there while you still can. I purchased both and installed them after my injectors were rebuilt - probably could have reused the seats.

The seal is a brass crush washer which is concave. It is to be installed concave down (hump facing up towards injector). As you torque down the injectors, the hump is crushed against the nozzle face and forms a perfect seal around the needle. Without this, I would worry about 1) damaging the tip of the injector and/or 2) losing the seal between pre-combustion chamber and injector port. If that seal is compromised, you might experience some pressure loss from the pre-combustion chamber.

As for the other pieces, the washer with holes sits underneath the leakage tube fitting as can be seen below. I'm not sure what the rubber gasket is, it may just be a place holder used for shipping??

1610729011542.png

Cheers

Last edited:
Seeing as the injector seat and seal are available from Toyota here in the US, I would definitely take advantage and get them in there while you still can. I purchased both and installed them after my injectors were rebuilt - probably could have reused the seats.

The seal is a brass crush washer which is concave. It is to be installed concave down (hump facing up towards injector). As you torque down the injectors, the hump is crushed against the nozzle face and forms a perfect seal around the needle. Without this, I would worry about 1) damaging the tip of the injector and/or 2) losing the seal between pre-combustion chamber and injector port. If that seal is compromised, you might experience some pressure loss from the pre-combustion chamber.

As for the other pieces, the washer with holes sits underneath the leakage tube fitting as can be seen below. I'm not sure what the rubber gasket is, it may just be a place holder used for shipping??

View attachment 2554005

Cheers
Thank you for that information . which shopping online for the parts yesterday. Cheapest place for the seats is heavy haulers they reference the part number back to a nippendenzo part only 77 cents a piece, But they don't have the seals. called about eight different parts houses and not a single house had both seals and seats. My local Toyota dealer wants double what every other Toyota dealer does for the parts so I refuse to do business with them. Next nearest dealers a 45 minute drive...... I'll get it figured out.

I can’t believe you waste so much time researching trying to find the cheapest price on a $1.00 Chineseum part when you can just go to your local dealership and get these parts in a day or two for $2.00.

Amazing.

I can’t believe you waste so much time researching trying to find the cheapest price on a $1.00 Chineseum part when you can just go to your local dealership and get these parts in a day or two for $2.00.

Amazing.
Yep, you're mostly right on that. That's what I do. There are 3 choices in life when you need something: Work, fight, or pay the man. I mostly work and fight for a good deal.. However the parts are not available at my local dealer in a couple days. seals are on backorder with Toyota(not in stateside warehouse). So yes I spent 2 hours on the internet searching for a company stateside that had both parts. As it turns out the cheapest most convenient way to get the parts in a reasonable time is partsouq from dubai.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom