3B chronic Air leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D0g

Threads
Hey guys i need the diesel gurus on this one .I'm having fuel starvation issues every 2-3 miles of driving. Things i have changed
1.Fuel Filter
2.Rubber lines from lift pump to tank
3. Fuel return line.
I'm having trouble troubleshooting ,any tips on how to locate where the air is coming from?

Is it actually sucking air? If so, just start at the engine end and work backward to the tank checking every piping joint. Don’t forget to clean and anneal the copper sealing washers on the banjo (and other) fittings.
If it’s actual fuel starvation you may need to check the integral lift pump inlet filter, and also your water separator, either can be fouled. I believe there is also a sock filter on the fuel tank pick up for large debris.

Reactions: D0g
It sucks air , its not from mechanical failure. I have bled the system several times and have had air come out .The issue ,I have is that it's really hard to know where it's coming from, I'm going to buy some clear hose and connect between the tank and return lines to see if it's at the return or from the tank. One last question, is it posible for it to be the tank itself? I looked at the tank and there are two hoses near the fuel filler cap and a single hose which is the outlet that i have replaced ,what are the other two near the filler cap? This is a RHD bj42

Found the leak it's the return hard line.I can't see how it comes off ,any one know how to do it without removing the pump?

The only fuel return line on a 3B is the weep line which connects the injectors to the double nipple banjo fitting on the inlet to the fuel feed pump.
image.jpg
Remove the inlet banjo (hollow) bolt retaining the fitting and remove. Anneal and check both copper washers before reinstall, and check the filter element inside the bolt. It’s not a difficult job, checking the filter there is part of routine maintenance.

Ive been at it 3 hours trying to remove the double nipple banjo bolt hard line without destroying it there is no way to get it off without removing the IP or bending it beyond recognition :doh:

Do NOT remove the injection pump! If you really, really need to, you can remove the fuel supply pump, after removing the other banjo bolt and the line to the main fuel filter, then there are three studs and nuts holding the fuel supply pump to the injection pump body.
How are you trying to get the inlet banjo bolt out? What tools are you using? Get a box end or a socket and a flex bar, and sometimes a few taps on the free end will get it loose.
image.jpg

I see on your other thread you’ve got the bolt out. Check to see both line brackets are undone, it should come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom