2UZFE Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A GX 470 has become available. The exterior is mostly destroyed, but the motor and tranny work fine so I'm going to swap them into my 1993 FZJ80.

I've found other 2UZFE swaps, but none from a GX470. Is there a reason for this?

What do I need to know going into this? How does the geometry differ? Are there clearance issues? Will the stock transfer case bolt to the GX470 transmission?

I've read the thread from @SuperRunner and it looks doable. Please advise.

Gx had the 5 speed auto. No idea if this would affect the install. Just something to research the feasability of a750 to 80 tcase (discussed by scottryana) and or using gx case. Also thinkimg that is a vvti DBW setup..... doable, but a little more difficult.

Slee might have some input for you.

Read up on some of the other swaps.... might find skme hidden nuggets of info.

Boltrippers and one other that escapes me at the moment

My guess would be they aren't swapping them from the GX because they are not as abundant or as affordable as other options. Tons of 2uz out there from old Tundra's, Seqoua's, LC 100's etc. I believe some are assembled in Japan, and some here in the states. Other than that they should share the same architecture.

Ok so I will take a swing at this. Granted it has been a few years since my swap, considering I did it back in 2004. But here is what I remember.

People aren't using GX470's right off the bat because the transfercase I think is driverside drop. The auto transmission is a version of the A750f but I do not know if it is the same one as in the LX470/100 series. So you could get the truck and not be able to use the transmission or transfercase. Now the later model 2UZ's like post 2005? are both DBW and VVTI, but if you are getting the entire truck that isn't as big of an issue since you can scavenge the pedal assembly, etc to make it work. But If it is VVTI and the transmission is not the same as the A750F in the LX470, and you have to swap transmissions you would have to be sure the LX470/100 series trans can supply the GX470 computer with the inputs it is looking for.

Please take this with a grain of salt since like I said it was 2004 when I was starting my swap, but I am pretty sure it is mostly accurate. So while you could get a few great parts the GX470 drivetrain is just not as easy to use as an LX470/100 series or a pre 2005 any 2UZ mated to an A343F.

Can I use the 80 transfer case? Will the a750f mate with it? Are there other options for a transfer case allowing this to work?

I've been looking at doing an LS/6L80 swap but I'm not ready to spend that kind of money. This seems more feasible.

You can use the 80 transfercase if you use an LX470/100 series transmission that is known for sure, I doubt anyone really knows with the transmission from the GX470, but I would guess it is not a straight bolt on.

Can I use the 80 transfer case? Will the a750f mate with it? Are there other options for a transfer case allowing this to work?

I've been looking at doing an LS/6L80 swap but I'm not ready to spend that kind of money. This seems more feasible.

A GX 470 has become available. The exterior is mostly destroyed, but the motor and tranny work fine so I'm going to swap them into my 1993 FZJ80.

I've found other 2UZFE swaps, but none from a GX470. Is there a reason for this?

What do I need to know going into this? How does the geometry differ? Are there clearance issues? Will the stock transfer case bolt to the GX470 transmission?

I've read the thread from @SuperRunner and it looks doable. Please advise.
You will only be gaining 40hp with a 2uz over the 1fz. The 1fz is capable of far more power over a 2uz if u add forced induction of some sort.

Ryan, is on the right path ...the transmission and VVTi makes it either impossible or difficult. When Slee did my swap he told me why .. I just can't remember. I quick call to Christo Slee and you'll have your answer

You will only be gaining 40hp with a 2uz over the 1fz. The 1fz is capable of far more power over a 2uz if u add forced induction of some sort.

What I really want to do is rebuild the 1fz-fe, install a twin scroll turbo, a borg-warner electric supercharger, a two-piece low profile ceramic header, etc. retune and be good to go. But I don't have that kind of time or coin. Also Toyota's supply chain is running dry. Unless Toyota follows Daimler Benz in returning to their proven I-6 platforms, I don't seen maintaining the 1fz-fe as a viable long-term option. :cry:

Last edited:
If you're doing the work yourself you're going to spend less money rebuilding the 1FZ-FE and turbo'ing it than you will doing an engine swap.

What I really want to do is rebuild the 1fz-fe, install a twin scroll turbo, a borg-warner electric supercharger, a two-piece low profile ceramic header, etc. retune and be good to go. But I don't have that kind of time or coin. Also Toyota's supply chain is running dry. Unless Toyota follows Daimler Benz in returning to their proven I-6 platforms, I don't seen maintaining the 1fz-ge as a viable long-term option. :cry:

What is wrong with your current 1fz? A cx racing turbo kit set to 5psi boost with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator will get u to beyond 2uz power levels. While things like a new valve cover or a new crankshaft may no longer available from Toyota, the parts needed to do a decent basic rebuild a motor shouldn't be too hard to do still. Here ya go:
DNJ Engine Rebuild Kit EK967 1FZFE | eBay

1fzfe is a pig. Great reliable engine but a pig on gas and parts are expensive. 2UZ make more power, gets better economy, and parts are more abundant. I see the attractiveness of a 2UZ swap.

1fzfe is a pig. Great reliable engine but a pig on gas and parts are expensive. 2UZ make more power, gets better economy, and parts are more abundant. I see the attractiveness of a 2UZ swap.

I'm basically getting an entire GX470 for $1000. I'm starting to have visions of OEM keyless entry, a fancy panic button, and v8 badge on my ass.

U only gain 2MPG fuel mileage and 40hp. A 5.3ls would blow it's doors off. U can get a wrecked suburban for 1500 bucks.

You know I am all about the Toyota, but it is very hard to not like the LS swap. Support, size, power, etc.

The LS swap is drool-inducing; however, it also looks fabrication intense. Those swaps look like they're running close to $20K unless you do a ton of work yourself. Lack of funds and skills makes it a non-starter.

2UZ is not bolt in.... There will be as much fab with a 2UZ, engine mounts, trans mounts, fan shroud, etc lots of wiring, fuel pump, depending on year pedal bucket and pedal assembly, etc. A 2UZ swap by a shop is all of $20k.

The LS swap is drool-inducing; however, it also looks fabrication intense. Those swaps look like they're running close to $20K unless you do a ton of work yourself. Lack of funds and skills makes it a non-starter.

Maybe @jetranger will chime in. He built a sick 40 and made everything work, vvti, a750f and all.

Love the idea of an LS, but
U only gain 2MPG fuel mileage and 40hp. A 5.3ls would blow it's doors off. U can get a wrecked suburban for 1500 bucks.

I think it was a bit better than 2MPG. There was a thread here from '09 with this swap. I think it was with the 750F trans and I think 17MPG was average and 20 HWY and 13 towing.

LS is amazing, dirt cheap, and you almost can't help but trip over one while walking through a junk yard. Something to be said for the uniqueness of swap of a 2UZ swap and staying all Toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom