2nd Gen 4Runner Parts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C6H12O6

SILVER Star
Threads
My buddy just bought a cheap '94 4Runner for his kid. The 3.0L has a dead cylinder. It runs, but shop says it needs a headgasket. Of course.

Auto transmission is also giving him problems. No overdrive and cruise control isn't working. Anybody have a lead on a working AT to swap? He's looking to get this thing running as cheaply as possible.

Steve

I agree. There are several for under $4K on CL that run and drive. Not sure what he was thinking. He drove to Seattle and paid $3K for a truck with a blown head gasket. He thought that was all it needed. He drove it home to Sherwood and figured out the overdrive doesn't work on the transmission. Toyota quoted him $4K for the head gasket and a tranny shop told him about the same for the AT rebuild. And it needs tires and probably every fluid in the truck. He could easily spend $10K to make it worth $5K.

He found a mechanic. $3800 to fix the head gasket, brake job, sort out the tranny, and some other stuff.

He's now around $7K into a 4Runner worth $3K. :doh:

So, if anybody has a 3.0L engine lying around...

It just keeps getting worse. Better? Certainly funnier. He purchased it with almost no compression on one cylinder. PO told him it was just the head gasket. It wasn't. When the mechanic removed the heads, one cylinder is very clearly shot. Now, my friend's husband is looking at a junkyard motor that is "being checked out." I tried telling them not to bother, but I doubt they'll listen.

o_O

I'll pass it on, but I don't think they'll listen. The husband is so upset, the lady I work with didn't even pass on my last advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom