2H Super Glow Issues and Hard Starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all and hello from the north

I have been having some issues starting my HJ60, I has been shaking on start and a few mornings would run then die then need to be cranked over again. I'm not well versed in diesels however I have done the following,

Set idle to 800 rpm which helps once it gets there..

Checked all the Glow plugs, they are all getting power, have good continuity and I can tell the timer is working well from the amp reading on the dash.
I also pulled a couple and they look okay or at least similar to other images I've found.

so I have some time over the holidays to address this I know that the ultimate fix is to install a webasto but that's out of the budget.

I would love to hear what you think.

Cheers

When you say 'cold', what temp are we talking?

Have you had a compression test done at any point? Low compression can make starting much more difficult when its really cold out.

You could try two cycles of the factory glow time. Key 'on', wait for glow time (by gauge), key 'off', wait a second, then repeat glow again, and start it. Start better now?

Put 5W40 oil in it for the winter.

Maybe look at oil pan heaters, rad hose heaters or block heater, etc. so it can be plugged in?

When you say 'cold', what temp are we talking?

Have you had a compression test done at any point? Low compression can make starting much more difficult when its really cold out.

You could try two cycles of the factory glow time. Key 'on', wait for glow time (by gauge), key 'off', wait a second, then repeat glow again, and start it. Start better now?

Put 5W40 oil in it for the winter.

Maybe look at oil pan heaters, rad hose heaters or block heater, etc. so it can be plugged in?

Have not done a compression test,

hard starting between -4 and on coldest day yet was -15

have tried doing two glows and doesn't help much still lots of shaking.

currently has 10-40 maybe ill switch see if that helps but id be surprised if its a night and day

also I have a hose heater on and have been using it, it helps but not a ton.

Cheers!

measure voltage across one of the glow plugs while you have someone glow it. If it's the "newer" 2H then it should do full, I think, for a short time then drop to half for the remaining cycle. I would test all the glow plugs. The engine manual describes these steps better than I can and tells you the specifics to look for. Definitely switch to 5w-40. Does it smoke really bad? Mine had a hard time starting with bad glow plugs. Made a big smoke screen

Very sensitive for 1 bad glow plug, just replace all 6 if you can pay for it, just be done, also see the other thread about glowplug type and type of system.

So what should be in them (voltage) and don't trust previous owner to much, mine starts like a summer day when freezing -18 degrees celcius. (0 celcius=water turning to ice) (10W40 oil)
Also a good test (but you have heater) is pour a few liters of boiling water over the intake and see if it helps a bit.

In my 1985 Hj glowing starts with 21 Volt and after 3 seconds it changes to 11,5 Volt for 15 seconds.
Glow Plugs Set Toyota Landcruiser 24 volt 14v HJ60 HJ61
M10x1.25 15-20 N-m

I have bought NGK 2188 (Y-197R)
before it had ND 14V 19850-68060

19850-68060=

PT-141 = vsp
Y-197R= ngk (Stock Number 2188)
GT217= eiko
CH104/002= CHAMPION

Last edited:
Thanks for the in-depth responces guys!

I’m going to go ahead and grab some new glow plugs and see if that improves the starting. As well as change to 5-40

I checked how much juice it’s getting at glow and I’m seeing about 21 at full then down to 14

Cheers guys I’ll report back when I make the changes and hopefully it’s starting better then.

Okay everyone I have a predicament.

I just replaced my glow plugs with 14v ones. They are the correct plugs and I made sure the old ones were also 14v prior to swapping.

Issue is after installing I glowed it and it started are ran perfectly. But 1 hour later they didn’t seem to work.

I tested how much power they were getting and it was 15v on the busbar.

I’m about to go try and figure this out but I’m not sure how just changing the plugs could impact how much power the busbar is getting as before I changed it I was getting the proper 21 then 14

Thanks for any help and merry Christmas

:hurting: well good thing is to know it is in the glowplugs, but bad is maybe constant glowing when contact is on, so burned the plugs?

15v is ok, within specs to me. It is because they glow all six that they are 14v in a 24v system, battery can not handle 6 x 24v (it seems, by design)

Maybe connect a 24v light from the busbar to the cab to see what is going on, the factory square orange light is no indication about what/when is glowing.

The 24v light should only be on when starting, maybe we assumed it was stopping after more than 20 seconds?

So it should go from 21 volts to 14 to 0 v and maybe your problem is that the edic does not end the glowing cycle properly.

Glowplugs need the factory spec that they are suitable for afterglow (see advertisement and specs) but an hour is a bit to much but should not kill them I think (but maybe, red hot for an hour...? diesel ignition also heating them up)

24 volt bulb at first glow getting 21 volt:
2_2efc67ba04fb5ea120752f6fc50e7826.jpg

getting 11 volt:

2_c7053d335cf07cbb261e784976918a34.jpg

Last edited:
After further testing here is where I'm at,

At the two resistors I'm getting up to 15.6 and 22volts

At the busbar the voltage slowly rises from 12 volts to 16 then shuts off

I have the trouble shooting guide from @lostmarbles and it says to check the timer so ill do that tomorrow...

I have not located and tested the solenoid for the 21 volt

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Update,

I put back in the old glow plugs and I was back to getting 21 and then 15 and the truck started...

So must have been faulty glow plugs I guess, they were 14v ngks which from what I understand are quite good. I guess I’ll try another set.

Cheers and thanks for all the help

how many km on your truck? The ring lands can go in one or more pistons in a HJ and leave you with cold starting issues. I hope thats not your problem, because that means rebuild time. But before trying anything else, do a compression test and see what your numbers are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom