2H into a 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anything is possible, but consider this. A lot of people are already thinking the 3F is underpowered for the 80 series. Throw in something that makes some 30 hp less, you'll have a slug. The 75 series troopie which weighs slightly more than the "poverty pack" 80 series, is a slug with the 2H. Add the accessories that come with a US-model 80 series, you have a heavier vehicle. Turbo the 2H and you probably be happier.

The expensive part about converting your 2H to 12V would be the EDIC. The glowplugs, the alternator and the starter are not too bad but they aren't free either. There are non-Canadian 2H engines that are 12V.

Dave

i say i say,,, keep the 60. with the amount of wife related cruiser abortions going on here, i fear marrage.

i recall someone saying there is a way to keep your engine 24 volt, but have it adapted to run car accessories 12v. i think, but i am of no use in how to do it.

[quote author=adasilva link=board=1;threadid=10320;start=msg92113#msg92113 date=1074528568]
I have been toying with the Idea of putting the whole drivetrain into a 91 or so 80 series.
[/quote]

You would be best served with a 91|92 FJ80 as the F-series engines I believe share the same engine mounting as the 2H does. Converting the starter to 12v shouldn't be too terrible. Is it true that the 2H's starter is the same `kind' as the 12v from the Fs, meaning for the most part they are interchangable (I have no idea, but I remember hearing that somewhere).

The 3F-E could then be sold here (I was in the market for one last year) as they can be retro'd to the 40/55/60 series, to help recoup some slight cost.

Some US states don't allow for an older engine to be placed in a newer vehicle for emissions requirements, but that may or may not apply.

The EDIC/plugs are another 24V wonder that could just be tee'd to an inline/series smaller secondary battery.

[quote author=adasilva link=board=1;threadid=10320;start=msg92113#msg92113 date=1074528568]
I want to keep the h55 and transfer of course.
[/quote]

Also not a big deal, but you'll need your driveshafts re-sized as the auto tranny is a good deal longer than the H55F.

I'd buy a 2HJ80!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom