2H Glow Plug issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Folks, My 2H had been on/off giving problems with the glow plugs. The timer will work on most days, but regularly will just "flash" and then I'm chugging that poor diesel until it fires up. Do the plugs rotate the start point in a cycle? Or am I dealing with a timer/relay issue. Even in the dead cold winter, the plugs only light for 10 seconds at most. As long as they pre-heat, the rig starts very well. I just don't want to do any damage by cold starting on no pre-heat. Any input would be helpful, J

you didn't mention what year or glow system you have or whether it's 12V or 24V. But most likely the timer is at fault, my 2H with the 24V superglow system did the same thing. I think you should hear the relays on the PS fender "click" when the timer cuts voltage to the glow plugs. That way you can tell how long the timer is sending voltage to the plugs.

Another option is to wire in a "wilson switch" manual button instead of the expense and challenge of getting and replacing the timer. You can search "wilson switch" to get more info on how its done.

The Charge Lamp Relay plays a part in superglow as well. It is located in your drivers side footwell. This was it for me with intermittent glows.

Right on guys, thanks for theinfo, that thread is def detailed. Cheers, J

Skinned Knuckle, If you decide to install the wilson switch it is important to decide at the time what Voltage Rating of Glow plugs you will put in.
If your truck is 12VDC, then I recommend you put in 11V rated glow plugs. Before installing the new glow plugs, tighten the new glow plug's casing in the vise (Dont pinch the portion that gets hot or the portion that has the threading and nut on it.)
Attached the ground of your battery to the vise. Attach the +12VDC to the threading on the glow plug. Count how long it takes the glow plug to get red hot. It will take about 10 to 12 seconds. That amount of time is how long you should manually switch your new plugs with the wilson switch.

I found out this weekend that my 2L-TE had 11VDC rated plugs in them. The stock glow system is designed to work with 6VDC rated plugs.
The stock toyota timer wasn't getting them hot enough.
I now plug my 11VDC rated glow plugs manually using the wilson switch for 12 seconds before starting and the truck doesn't even hesitate. Before my truck would sputter and blow lot's of white smoke until it became hotter from running.

As Kim said if it is just flashing and you can hear the glow plug relay switching on and off at the same time, check that the charge light on the dash is on before you start the engine.
If not the timer thinks that the engine is running and switches the superglow off.
The problem is usually with the external regulator or the charge lamp relay with an internal regulator.

@bj40green - interesting that a few people mention the Charge Lamp relay in the kick panel could be causing glow plug issues. Thoughts?

I noticed tonight while testing continuity on all of the glow relays that when I hooked up the positive cable to the battery to create full connection that I heard a relay click on and off every time I placed/removed the cable. I got my wife outside to do the same with the positive while I searched for what was making the noise and sure enough it was the charge lamp relay. Why would this be tripping each time I hook up the batteries?

Clearly I'm still searching for the electric bug. Thanks!

When you hook up your battery, you activate several circuits. Each circuit "figures out" the situation it's in. That's what makes the relay click on and off.
As Fitzmooney mentioned above, the signal L (High when engine is running) from the alternator circuit (internal or external regulated) is used to activate the after glow circuit.
So, if people modify, change, upgrade their alternator and/or VR and ignore the L wire to the Glow Timer........

Rudi

When you hook up your battery, you activate several circuits. Each circuit "figures out" the situation it's in. That's what makes the relay click on and off.
As Fitzmooney mentioned above, the signal L (High when engine is running) from the alternator circuit (internal or external regulated) is used to activate the after glow circuit.
So, if people modify, change, upgrade their alternator and/or VR and ignore the L wire to the Glow Timer........

Rudi
Thanks Rudi. I've purchased an ammeter to start testing relays. What does the L stand for?

IMG_3636.JPG

What does the L stand for?

Lamp or Light.
In this case it activates the charge light relay which turns off and on the charge warning light.
NOTE: You don't see, in this diagram, the L wire to the Super Glow Timer.

Rudi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom