2F rebuild, '76 or '78 best? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G

I am swapping my tired old F engine for a 2F. I have two core blocks to choose from, a '76 or a '78. Are there any signifcant differences that would lean me one way or the other on these? If not, anything major to check for that would help? All I can see is that the 78 has an electronic distributor, and a few more vacuum lines. My current F actually runs fine, newly rebuilt carb, tune-up etc. Can I use my simple single barrel carb? How about the distributor? Advantages/disadvantages? After doing a compression test, #5 cylinder is at 100 psi, the rest at 130 - 135, I'm guessing it's almost time for fixing something. All the advice so far is not to put any cash into an F engine. Thanks!

here is some more advice dont put money in a 2f either I know of aleast 4 2f's with the same problem I think that #5 cylinder must be the weak point it happened to 2 of my 2f got sick of the nonsence went v8 no problems yet

2F's are good motors. The #5 problem is due to a leaking brake booster on all I have seen. Not enough difference between 76/78 to make the choice based on year. check either block for the three holes for power steering pump bracket that were found on 79 and newer motors, if either has it use that one. then a power steering pump is an easy add-on.
Do run the electronic distributor and module form the 78.

So about where would those holes be? Would it be possible to drill and tap them while the engine is out?
I am also a small block fan, but I'm saving that for my 1950 panel project. Of course all the pricing isn't done yet for a rebuild, but those adapters are pretty spendy too.

if you use a chevy trans "sm465 or 420" you can do the conversion for about 1000.00 bucks if you have a good welder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom