285/70/17 question/help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, i would like everyone's feedback/experience/help on my current situation. I've been reading everywhere and I get mixed answers. I have a 06 gx470 that I used daily(only 15miles roundtrip for work). I installed a 2" leveling spacer in the front and adjusted the back to level it all out with factory airbags. I bought some replica trd wheels that are 17x8 +15 and toyo open country a/t 2 285/70/17 that I haven't installed yet. 1st questions, will those wheel specs clear front upper control arms? I see most people run tundra/fj wheels and clear but those are 17x7.5 +15. Not sure if my 17x8, 1/2" wider would work? 2nd question, most important. I already bought a set of new 285/70 toyo that I want to use but only if it dont rub metal or else I would sell them. I will be keeping the oem side steps and I dont mind trimming them, any liners and any plastic pieces needed but will they rub ANY metal body mount/tabs/pieces??? Some say yes, some no. If they rub any metal even tiny and need modding, I'll replace them with 265/70/17 which I really dont want to since I already have them. Thanks all for your help

Last edited:
All I can tell you is that my tires 285/70R17 nitto ridge grapplers rub on the frame at full turns and I have 17x9 -12 wheels, TC UCAs, a 2” to 2.5” lift upfront, rock sliders.

My BFG Kos 285/70R17 ribbed too on the frame on full turns.

So, it’s kinda difficult to say if yours will rub on metal because there’s so many factors that are different on your rig compared to mine.

You will be busy trimming fender liners, running boards, and maybe BMC

similar to homers above... i can't speak to your exact setup, but here's what i'm running:
- P285/70R17 falken wildpeak at3w (p-rated... not lt-rated) on stock wheels... these are roughly 33" tires per falken's website
- dobinsons 2" lift
- spc adjustable upper control arms
- 1.5" spacers all around

right out of the gates, the front tires rubbed all over the place, but there was no rubbing from rear tires. here's the lowdown for the front tires:
- FRONT area - i cut the front of the fender liners and pulled them forward... if you google that, you should find some info on it... very easy to do, and ultimately it fixed the rubbing in that area. eventually, i will probably cut the entire lower area of the front bumper anyways, which creates even more clearance and is a very standard hack around here.
- REAR area - it rubbed against the front of the running boards, so i just hacked a section of that off... imo, the cuts aren't even noticeable... BUT the tires also rubbed slightly on the body mount. nothing extreme, but i would notice it more on mid-lock going in reverse. then sometimes it would rub moving forward, but in mid-turn hitting a bump; that would cause traction control to kick in, which is a little jarring. to fix the body mount rub, i had my local shop pull the front caster forward which is possible due to the adjustable upper control arms... it was around 3-3.5 degrees when it rubbed, and they pulled it forward to 4.5 degrees. it still rubs VERY slightly, so i might have them try to pull it forward just a little more. my goal was to avoid doing the BMC

so, that's my story, hope it helps! if you want, i can post pics...

thanks for the response. im doing everything on a budget, so positive caster is not going to be an option for me since I don't have adjustable a-arms.. my main concern is to avoid any metal rubbing. I spend 98% daily driving it, so I want it as close to stock ride as possible(IMO rubbing is annoying) . I don't want to do any modification to the frame/chassis like BMC, or hammering the seams, etc, but cutting/heating any plastics is acceptable. based on my continuous research, it appears no matter what I will get a minor rubbing based on my setup which im tring to avoid at all cost. I cant find any 275/70/17 for a deal so I might just buy a set of 265/70/17 instead to avoid any concerns of metal rubbing.

If you are on a tight budget, did you consider keeping the stock oem wheels and put 255/75R17 tires? Those are 32.1" x 10" tires and you won't rub at all. These skinny tall tires won't require any trimming of any fenders/liners/BMC.

I am on a tight budget but I already have/bought the wheels so I will be using them. BUT, last night I ended up selling the 285 tires:( so now I need to look for a set of new tires. I don't mind and am willing to trim plastic as needed. I never consider 255/75/17 before. I was considering 265/70/17. as I mention before, I care more about the aesthetics. so, what would be more fitting, and appealing, 255/75, 265/70, or other options???? size that wont require body/metal mods. thanks

265/70/17 won't rub. I have a set I got on some TRD offroad wheels that work and they're 1" taller than stock. You could probably score the tires for almost nothing if you can find a set still on the rims and sell the rims. I paid $750 for a set of 5 wheels (steel spare) and tires with 80 miles

I am on a tight budget but I already have/bought the wheels so I will be using them. BUT, last night I ended up selling the 285 tires:( so now I need to look for a set of new tires. I don't mind and am willing to trim plastic as needed. I never consider 255/75/17 before. I was considering 265/70/17. as I mention before, I care more about the aesthetics. so, what would be more fitting, and appealing, 255/75, 265/70, or other options???? size that wont require body/metal mods. thanks

People also seem to like 255/80-17. I ran a set of ST Maxx with 2.5" 5100 on the front and 3/4" SSO spacers on the rear. My liners are pulled forward, and the lower corner of the fenders were trimmed. I just replaced them with 265/70 Wildpeaks, as I could not fit the 255/80 spare.

thank you all for the help and recommendations, but I ended up buying a set of wildpeak 265/70/17 for $580 mounted and balance. i'll have them mounted this weekend, make adjustment to liners as needed and would like to share with the rest of the community.

Just an update with pix

FullSizeR(10).jpg

FullSizeR(8).jpg

Looking good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom