24v Alternator - Troopy/Coaster Bus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Troopy has been mostly dead since I took delivery, except for a couple jump pack starts to move it in the driveway. Today I put two fresh batteries in it and fired it up so I can see if the alternator is putting out a charge. Nothing. No change in voltage.

First step is going to be to take it to a local alternator repair place, and see what kind of magic they can work. Being that it is 24v, I'm a little unsure of parts availability, though I know there are plenty of 24v trucks on the road.

If that doesn't work.. I've been looking at these Coaster Bus alternators from Rareelectrical. Does anyone have any experience with these? I've read a few bad things, but also lots of good. They are aftermarket, I believe Chinese made. I'm very hesitant to try this route.

Any other suggestions on repair places, or OEM replacements?

If you state the year and engine it might help. They came with many engines

They are aftermarket, I believe Chinese made. I'm very hesitant to try this route.

Denso built a factory in China years ago and sell them as generic alternators. They sell lots of them in Australia, no real problems Im aware of. Amazon sell a few alternators for diesel landcruisers.

Here's the thread link with all the pertinent information:

Have a look at post #9 and #11

His engine was 1PZ but the above should all work for 1HZ

Repair and rebuild parts were no problem for a shop here in Virginia.

@roscoFJ73 It’s a 1994 Troopy with the 1HZ. My OEM alternator looks exactly like the rare electric one, with the dual belt pulley.

@svsisu - Thanks! I will take a look at my plug and see what it looks like.

Last edited:
@svsisu - I just looked at my alternator, and I have the oval plug, so no adapter needed. I also think that the bracket is the same. I think I'll give this a go, since it has the added benefit of higher amperage over OEM. Buy the time I have it rebuilt, I'll probably be close in price anyways.

Thanks. I'll report back.

That's great you don't need the wire adapter. @deadhead7 might measure the "throw" of his bracket for you to make sure you don't need the longer one.

That alternator seemed like a good solution, especially with higher output. Good luck, and keep up us updated on the results.

Hey, I just dropped my troopy off for long term storage at a family members place after doing a big road trip in it this week so unfortunately I can’t take that measurement. But it sounds like you’re on the right track. If you go to install the new alternator and find that it’s too big to work with the original bracket, the larger bracket part number is in my thread mentioned above. Best of luck.

and needed this adapter that is currently unavailable:

The adapter is easily available on aussie eBay. Many aftermarket alternators come with the adapter included.

Alternator-Connector-Adapter-Plug-suits-Toyota-Hilux-Landcruiser-Hiace-amp-Denso thumbnail 1

I recently had my oem alternator go out on a mine. I bought an replacement that was for a 1HZ Coaster from amazon thinking I could use the extra amperage.
It did not fit because I found that although the coaster’s alternator looks identical , it is about 10% bigger than the one for the land cruiser. The bottom mounting bolt went in just fine but the alternator would not bolt up to the adjustment bracket. You would need to find a bracket that is compatible or make your own.

I took a picture of both of them side by side. You can see the coaster’s is clearly bigger than the other

I took my oem one to a local alternator shop and got it rebuilt: sand blasted for $150. Turn around was 2 days

82A9859C-E9F3-4401-86E7-6B3007EB6BE0.jpeg

@TurbodreamZ - Yea, I noticed that the aftermarket one was slightly bigger when I received it. I finally got around to trying to install it today, and ran into exactly what you said. The bracket is not quite the right size. I took the grinder to the bottom so that the alternator could clear it, but the mounting bolt for the belt tension is off. I ended up placing the order for part 1638117020 that @deadhead7 recommended. I'll see if that one fits before I try to fabricate something.

Yeah I ran into the same issue and the part number listed in my thread was the correct bracket. Should solve your issue and it will be better than trying to take a grinder to your existing one and widening the slot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom