24V Alternator for 1PZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll add to the alternator issue discussion on here (shout out Ebike toter) because mine is also having issues.

Yesterday I cranked over the troopy and all the dash lights that usually go off after the truck cranks over remained on - filter, battery, timing belt. The good people of Troopcarriers of Australia informed me that this is likely because my alternator isn't outputting. A quick check with a multimeter allowed me to confirm that.

After a little bit of research I learned that this is a known issue with 70 series alternators especially if they get dirty with mud and a cleaning of the brushes can often solve the problem. I had driven through some serious mud not too long ago and not really cleaned the engine bay since. So today I pulled the alternator and took it apart to get at the brushes.

Now that I have it apart I see that the brushes are VERY worn down and the rotor quite worn too where it contacts (see photos below). I'm thinking, if nothing else for the sake of reliability and longevity, this calls for more than just a cleaning even if that might get it working again for the time being. Options I'm considering:

1. I understand you can just replace the brushes and brush housing, but I have no idea if these parts are even available.
2. Replace the alternator altogether with the same one. Haven't gotten to do too much research on it yet but I assume it's the same as a 1HZ alternator.
3. Replace it with a different alternator (maybe higher output). This is probably ideal because I did just get all the bits for a house battery setup, but my electrical skills are limited so I'm not sure if there is something that's essentially plug and play.

Can anybody who has experience with this help me to determine which of the above options is best?

Also, anybody know the part numbers for the alternator belts? I figure might as well replace those while I've got this thing out.

Thanks in advance!

3. Replace it with a different alternator (maybe higher output). This is probably ideal because I did just get all the bits for a house battery setup, but my electrical skills are limited so I'm not sure if there is something that's essentially plug and play

There are few options from 1HZ powered coasters that should be plug and play. Some aftermarket alternators have a different shaped plug but most come with an adapter, if they dont it costs about $15
How many amps is yours? 27060-17120 is available from Amazon for $199, not sure if thats AUD or USD.
27060-1712024V 60A
27060-1724024V 45A

The label on the side of mine reads part number 27060-17060 which seems to be 30A output. When I google that part number it looks to be very expensive to get an exact replacement. $200 off Amazon for a 60A output one seems like a no-brainer comparatively. Reckon I'll just have to get one of the adapters to adapt from that oval plug to the circular plug mine has and then perhaps run a new larger cable between it and the battery sized for the 60A output.

Have you checked Rock Auto?
I used ToyoDIY to locate the part numbers and the vehicles they are issued on and then went on RockAuto and purchased a new higher amperage alternator for my 1993 PZJ75 as a spare since locating parts in the PI can be difficult and time consuming.
My charging system is 12V.....

When I google that part number it looks to be very expensive to get an exact replacement

Thats not surprising , alternators and starters from Toyota are often $800-900. Maybe they last longer, but you could buy 4 aftermarket alternators for Toyotas price.

Ok I ended up buying just a new brush assembly. It was only $25 and prime shipping from Amazon. Although I'm intrigued by the 60A output Coaster version and pretty sure it would be plug and play with an adapter, I'm a little concerned about the quality of a $200 aftermarket version since this needs to be a reliable part.

Amazon product ASIN B00P2R6XJS

I figure this will allow me to get back on the road quick and cheap and I will retain the factory alternator. If this fix works well, I'll probably buy another brush assembly to carry as a spare. I may also revisit the concept of installing the higher output one once I have the aux battery installed and more loads.

Will update once I've had a chance to replace the brushes and reinstall the alternator.

I got a chance this weekend to clean the alternator and replace the brushes. You can see from the photo below how worn down they were compared to new.

It kind of worked but not really. The alternator charges the batteries to 24.5 V but not above that.

Looks like I'm going with the $200 Amazon aftermarket 60A one. Has anybody put in a higher output alternator and used the original output cable? Mine looks like its 6mm or 8mm which should be plenty big for 60A I would think.

I'm a little concerned about the quality of a $200 aftermarket version since this needs to be a reliable part.

We use them all the time in Australia. Im not saying they will last 30 years but you get more than your moneys worth. An auto electrician dissassembled an aftermarket 1HZ starter motor while I watched. He said it had been made in Malaysia and was identical in quality to Toyotas. The only difference being some of the parts were a different colour. He rebuilt it for me using aftermarket parts and it performed prefctly for the next 6 years I owned it.

Figured I'd post the eventual resolution of this to document it for others. I ordered the 60A output aftermarket 27060-17120. Went to put it in and since it's a bit bigger, the distance between the two mounting holes is slightly more so a different bracket was needed for the top mounting bracket with the belt tensioner. I ordered that - part number is 1638117020.

Old versus new - you can see it's slightly different.

Hardest part was just getting those two bolts that mount the bracket to come free. You also have to take off the fan and fan pulley to get the bolts out but not a big deal. I got it installed and the only additional modification was that the new alternator has a slightly bigger diameter output post so I crimped a new lug onto the cable.

New alt and bracket installed:

Used an adapter to go from the oval plug to the round one:

Seems to be working real well now - all the lights on my dash are no longer illuminated and it keeps the batteries topped up at 27+ volts. Should be better off now for running big loads like the winch and air compressor.

How much did it cost and where did you get it from?

I think the $200 is a good investment.

@deadhead7 , thanks for documenting this and writing this up! I'm looking to replace the alternator on my 1990 pzj70 and this is the route I want to go. Any chance you can share the part number / link to the specific adaptor kit you needed for the old cable? I can't find any info about the plug required for the alternator in that amazon link for the 60Amp version.

also, I'm not 100% clear on what you were referring to in this statement:
I got it installed and the only additional modification was that the new alternator has a slightly bigger diameter output post so I crimped a new lug onto the cable.

any chance you could share a pic of the work for that step? apologies in advance for the silly question, I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into before I take this project on myself :)

@TINYtim

So I looked in my amazon order history and the link to the adapter I bought is dead so I don't think that exact one is offered on Amazon anymore. But I'm sure an alternate isn't hard to find. It was called "Michigan Motorsports Toyota MR2 3 Pin Alternator Adapter Round To 3 Pin Oval Plug Harness."

Regarding the comment about the output post, it is what I've pointed to in my crude mark-ups below (in the first photo it's under the rubber cover. This is where the alternator outputs current to the batteries and it's basically just a nut and bolt. The output wire with that rubber cover bolts onto this post via a typical electrical lug connector. The diameter of the output lug on the new alternator was slightly larger than on the old alternator so I simply had to pull that rubber cover back, snip off the old lug, strip back the output cable, then crimp on a new lug. I don't have any measurements for the gauge of the output wire or the output post, but my recommendation would be just to wait until you get the new alternator then go to your local hardware or electrical store and get a lug that will fit it and the gauge of the output wire. The output wire is decent size (I want to say 6 AWG) so you probably want to use a proper battery cable crimper like this:

Amazon product ASIN B07N5ZRVL9
Hope that made sense. If you buy the alternator, adapter, and bracket that I give the part number for above, you should have what you need and it's a straight forward job. I also used it as an opportunity to put on new belts which are readily available from Partsouq. I've been very happy with the aftermarket alternator - no issues to report.

1591048042432.png

1591048166683.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom