24 volt pyro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
I really like the VDO Cockpit International gauges. They list their pyrometer as 12 volt. A VDO Tech support guy says the gauge must have its own 12V power supply because the milli-voltage the thermocouple generates just moves the needle.
Apart from 12 volt lighting, what else is there?

Not sure what you are trying to ask for?
Are you looking for 24V pyro gauges? Or something else.

My BJ74 is 24 V.

Would a vdo pyro listed as 12 V work n my truck if I just put n a 24 V light bulb?

You have another few options.

ISSPRO EV2 series are 24v compatible. I love mine
Auber gauges are also available in 24v if you want the digital route.

image.jpg
12V VDO gauges in a 24V Cruiser.

You could also hook up a simple voltage regulator to supply the 12V power necessary to run the gauge (100ma according to VDO) then just switch the bulb out for a 24V version or have a second regulator for that line (assuming you still want the illumination to turn on and off with your headlight).

For example a basic L7812 voltage regulator can supply 1~1.5amp of 12 volt power from a 24V line, and should cost less than $2 a piece.

Note: don't push the amp limit unless properly mounting it with a heat sink, but for 100ma it shouldn't generate too much heat, The <0.2amps for the 2W 12V bulb may generate a little bit of heat, but it does have overheat protection built in so it should shutdown if there is a problem.

I dug around websites in Australia.
Certain VDO products there can be purchased along with a dropping resistor to allow installation in a 24V vehicle. This resistor is not sold in the USA.

1978HJ45: are you using a regulator/transformer for your 12 volt gauges or do you have other wizardry?

Grease Monkey: thanks. It is looking like I will go that route.

1978HJ45: are you using a regulator/transformer for your 12 volt gauges or do you have other wizardry?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regulator / transformer for the gauges, radio, cigarette lighter, and backup camera.

I am really stuck on the red needles in the Cockpit International series.

350-030-025c_front.jpg

Hoser: thanks!
When I looked, I found the references to the resistor kit but could not find the correct part number.

I'm not 100% on the part number. May want to contact VDO.

The tech guy at VDO denies the possibility of putting a 12 volt gauge in a 24V vehicle.

I like the way the VDO gauges look.

This stuff is almost all wrapped up for me.
I bought a pyro sensor probe from The Sensor Connection.
The Sensor Connection EGT Probes Motorsports Sensors and Gauges
I decided to run the 90 degree turn out and then forward. Wrapping the 6ft lead around forward end of valve cover then along left side of engine back to center firewall grommet. Almost no wasted lead wire after getting it up to oem gauge pod location.

I bought a vdo pyro gauge that is read in Celsius. This is the one I think.
Vision EGT (Pyro) Gauge 12V | Aisat Instruments
It is connected to my 24-12V transformer that powers my e-locker and cig lighter.

Only later did I wonder if VDO gauge was calibrated for a normal Type K thermocouple, which is what the Sensor Connection sensor probe is.
I called VDO Tech support two times and got people who knew less than I do.
I decided to buy a Sensor Connection gauge to use as calibration tool.
The Sensor Connection EGT Probes Motorsports Sensors and Gauges
This little guy can do 12 or 24V power and Celsius or Fahrenheit temps. It has more features too.

Running both at the same time, the little digital guy shows temps to be between 30 - 50 degrees C higher than VDO pointer gauge shows. As temps get up to 600C, the gauge reading difference gets less. It is probably a linear relation but I don't have any graph paper.
I will probably keep the little digital box and use double sided tape to mount it inside my under radio box pocket thing.
I like the idea of the red/orange needle pointer of the VDO and I like the International System of units for my JDM but I can now put some other gauge in that 52mm location.

Here is shot of gauge pod without pod cover. Digital egt gauge is on the right just lying on dashboard for now.
upload_2018-7-3_8-35-51.png

upload_2018-7-3_8-37-2.png

Here is pic of pyro sensor wires and my boost gauge tube routed through the heater control's firewall grommet.
AlbertoSD here on MUD guided me on best way to get through that rubber deal.
Thanks Alberto!
upload_2018-7-3_8-40-1.png

Here's thermocouple probe coming out of the exhaust manifold through the re-drilled and re-tapped heat shield bolt hole.
upload_2018-7-3_8-42-15.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom