24 volt A-1000 winch does'nt work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello all. desperately seeking help on my 1990 hzj-73 factory winch. it was working just fine but all of a sudden when i try to power it out or in, it wont turn the spool either way. you can tell it tries to as you can see the spool move just a little, like a 1/4 inch, and it makes a kind of grinding sound like the winch motor isnt quite engaging the clutch that is inside the spool. the noise is coming from the right hand side where the motor and solenoids are so im wondering if the motor has a shaft that could be worn enough or possibly even broken, kind of like a bendix on a flywheel does when it goes bad that may be causing this or maybe something broken or worn on the clutch assembly where it contacts the motor. it used to work great. im getting power to all parts and the solenoids are doing what they are supposed to do. its not a clicking sound that happens when a solenoid is bad, but a louder sound like something has been sheered or something. i may wind up having to take it apart but a lot of times when i tear into something i dont seem to get it back together right. please, if anyone has run into this or has broken one down, maybe they could tell me how hard it is or what i have to do to solve this problem. i dont want to buy a new winch that wont fit my factory bumper and therefore have to get a new bumper made for it too if i can fix the one i have. lots of thanks for any advice or help.

hello all. desperately seeking help on my 1990 hzj-73 factory winch. it was working just fine but all of a sudden when i try to power it out or in, it wont turn the spool either way. you can tell it tries to as you can see the spool move just a little, like a 1/4 inch, and it makes a kind of grinding sound like the winch motor isnt quite engaging the clutch that is inside the spool. the noise is coming from the right hand side where the motor and solenoids are so im wondering if the motor has a shaft that could be worn enough or possibly even broken, kind of like a bendix on a flywheel does when it goes bad that may be causing this or maybe something broken or worn on the clutch assembly where it contacts the motor. it used to work great. im getting power to all parts and the solenoids are doing what they are supposed to do. its not a clicking sound that happens when a solenoid is bad, but a louder sound like something has been sheered or something. i may wind up having to take it apart but a lot of times when i tear into something i dont seem to get it back together right. please, if anyone has run into this or has broken one down, maybe they could tell me how hard it is or what i have to do to solve this problem. i dont want to buy a new winch that wont fit my factory bumper and therefore have to get a new bumper made for it too if i can fix the one i have. lots of thanks for any advice or help.
Mike,

Just wondering how you made out with your winch? Your issue (to me) sounds like the engagement lever is not fully seating.

Mike,

Just wondering how you made out with your winch? Your issue (to me) sounds like the engagement lever is not fully seating.
hello cruisernewf. man, its good to hear someone giving me a reply. thank you. my lever is kind of hard to move so i use a pair of pliars to push down and turn. it feels like it is seating but it may well not be. it turns all the way till it stops in the lock or free position. its crazy, cause it was working great not long ago. i havent tried it in a while but i will try it again and try to see if it is engaging all the way or not. i guess not many guys have had this issue cause you are the only one to get back with me on this. i thought surely this would have come up before, but maybe not. i will try what you said though, and thank you for the reply.

hello cruisernewf. man, its good to hear someone giving me a reply. thank you. my lever is kind of hard to move so i use a pair of pliars to push down and turn. it feels like it is seating but it may well not be. it turns all the way till it stops in the lock or free position. its crazy, cause it was working great not long ago. i havent tried it in a while but i will try it again and try to see if it is engaging all the way or not. i guess not many guys have had this issue cause you are the only one to get back with me on this. i thought surely this would have come up before, but maybe not. i will try what you said though, and thank you for the reply.
Mike,
If you are able would you mind posting a picture or two? I think this is the same winch as the one on my BJ74 but just want to be sure.

Also, does the cable and drum free wheel out smoothly when in the disengaged position?
im not too smart on this computer as far as posting pictures, guess i could try. its an A1-1000 toyota 24 volt winch. a 1990 model though. motors on the right and gear box is on left. the cable and drum go out in the free wheel position but maybe not real smooth. and not as easy it seems as it used to i think. but it does spool out.

im not too smart on this computer as far as posting pictures, guess i could try. its an A1-1000 toyota 24 volt winch. a 1990 model though. motors on the right and gear box is on left. the cable and drum go out in the free wheel position but maybe not real smooth. and not as easy it seems as it used to i think. but it does spool out.
Do you hear any grinding noise on spool out?

Do you hear any grinding noise on spool out?
i dont think so. only when i click on spool out on the remote, or as far as that goes, when i click on spool in too. both ways with the remote it makes a grinding kind of sound coming from the right hand side, the side the motor is on. if i put it on free and manually pull the cable out it makes no noise.

i dont think so. only when i click on spool out on the remote, or as far as that goes, when i click on spool in too. both ways with the remote it makes a grinding kind of sound coming from the right hand side, the side the motor is on. if i put it on free and manually pull the cable out it makes no noise.
I would try exercising the engage/disengage lever several times, if this doesn't help then the next easiest might be to pull the motor, check inside the motor for loose parts, worn brushes then take a look inside the case if you can, maybe use a small mirror. Be careful of any seals that may be on the motor mating surface.
1600478952995.png

Not sure if this image will attach properly; is this your winch?

I would try exercising the engage/disengage lever several times, if this doesn't help then the next easiest might be to pull the motor, check inside the motor for loose parts, worn brushes then take a look inside the case if you can, maybe use a small mirror. Be careful of any seals that may be on the motor mating surface. View attachment 2439642
Not sure if this image will attach properly; is this your winch?
the picture didnt do right i dont think. cant hardly see it, but i dont think its mine. well, second thought, i think it may be mine. thats what i was thinking too, about pulling the moter and just looking at it. there are 2 o rings that i would have to be careful with. its grinding like maybe the motor isnt quite connecting with the clutch inside of the spool or something like that. i was hoping here that someone had had this kind of problem but maybe not. you're the only one that has replied to this thread. thank you.

the picture didnt do right i dont think. cant hardly see it, but i dont think its mine. well, second thought, i think it may be mine. thats what i was thinking too, about pulling the moter and just looking at it. there are 2 o rings that i would have to be careful with. its grinding like maybe the motor isnt quite connecting with the clutch inside of the spool or something like that. i was hoping here that someone had had this kind of problem but maybe not. you're the only one that has replied to this thread. thank you.
Not sure what is up with saving of the image but see if this loads properly. There looks to be a clutch pack . It could also cause the ratcheting noise and poor operation if not engaged fully. If you do pull the motor check the oil if you can or even put a magnet down in there. Good luck.

winch.png

Not sure what is up with saving of the image but see if this loads properly. There looks to be a clutch pack . It could also cause the ratcheting noise and poor operation if not engaged fully. If you do pull the motor check the oil if you can or even put a magnet down in there. Good luck.

View attachment 2439663
ok cruisernewf. that magnet sounds like a good idea too. thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom