22re fine tuning HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in need of someone that's good with fine tuning the 22re. I picked up a 88 4Runner back in Sept that had a blown head gasket. I put a new head, crawler cam, timing chain with metal slider, had the injectors rebuilt/flow tested, and replaced the TPS. I don't have a timing light, so I've just eye balled the timing but I plan on using a friends timing light tomorrow. The problem I'm having is I've adjusted the TPS to as close to factory specs as I could but I'm still getting a low speed stumble. It only does it after it's been driven a few miles or after it's fully warmed up. It will also do the stumble while drive at speed but only if you lightly press the gas to maintain speed. I'm getting check engine light every other day, codes 25 and 26. I will be replacing the O2 sensor soon, had to order one. The spark plugs are new, NGK's and gapped to factory specs. The cap/rotor are new and the wires looked new but I ordered a new set. The codes 25 and 26 are for a rich/lean condition, which I know it's running rich cause I can smell gas in the exhaust and I think it could be due to the timing not being set to 5*. The codes also cover the o2 sensor which could be bad because of it having a blown head gasket. If I am still having this issue after I set the timing, change the o2 sensor, and plug wires I will take to someone to get it fine tuned. I need this 4Runner to be running perfect since I sold my F250 and the 4Runner is me daily driver. Thanks

Steven

Also, check the vacuum going to the EGR valve. It should have ported vacuum and only after warming up.

Also, check the vacuum going to the EGR valve. It should have ported vacuum and only after warming up.

I think it's something with the EGR valve, I took the small vac line off and pluged it/caped the EGR valve. This was at lunch and on the way back to work the stumble was gone. I also played with the timing some too but I don't think it's right, the power did go down some. I need to get the timing light from my friend and get the timing set. Is there anything I can do for the EGR valve? Thanks

Steven

Did you ever figure out what was causing the stumble in the 88 4 runner?? My 85 4runner sometimes intermittently does the same thing but its not a DD yet!!! I do drive it to the trails though!!! So its not a full on trailer queen yet!

I don’t have any Toyota’s anymore, actual just sold my 91 4Runner and the engine from your truck a few weeks ago. My brother sold the 4Runner I got him, I told him that if he ever sold it I want first dibs but I guess he forgot. I don’t know enough to about that t the 22RET to answer you question about the turbo swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom