2023 Trail Schedule Development (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since the January and February meetings did not generate a trail schedule for the year, I would like to get feedback from the members to generate the schedule in the next couple of weeks. This is your opportunity to get your input heard.
The new schedule will have runs on Saturday or Sunday to enable people to make more runs.

Past year scheduled trails. Use these as a guide. Post up your suggestions and I will populate this list with the suggestions.

January
Schubarth Road

February
Phantum Canyon & Shelf Road Loop

March
The Gultches (Metberry, Hackett, Longwater)

April
Texas Creek
White Rim (Moab) or Kokopelli (planning and exact days are a work in progress)

May
Club Choice (much depends on snow)

June
Medano Pass (overnight camping in Sand Dunes, or a day trip)

July
Cloverdale Mine BBQ, Fishing, Gold Panning (Near Westcliffe)
Tin Cup, Saint Elmo

August
Mosquito Pass

September
San Juan Trip (exact dates may change, but would like to keep it this week)
Kebler Pass

October
Music Pass

November
China Wall

December
Christmas Tree Cutting

David M

Posting this as it was a discussion and tentative consensus to do a trip to see Bishop Castle.
Tracy offered a schedule consisting of an overnighter, driving down to see a wolf preserve, camp, then Bishop Castle the next day, then back.
One vote for it here.
Suggested time frame was July-ish I think?

Question:
Any chance the Cloverdale Mine BBQ, Fishing, Gold Panning (Near Westcliffe) Tin Cup, Saint Elmo
run can be done in May? Is that an over nighter too?

Last edited:
Posting this as it was a discussion and tentative consensus to do a trip to see Bishop Castle.
Tracy offered a schedule consisting of an overnighter, driving down to see a wolf preserve, camp, then Bishop Castle the next day, then back.
One vote for it here.
Suggested time frame was July-ish I think?
We visited Mission Wolf sometime in the past as a day trip. Since you mentioned Bishop Castle, I thought this might be a good overnight two-day trip. We'd drive down Interstate 25 to near Colorado City/Rye. North of there is a small community named Gardner. The wolf preserve is in the NF just north of Gardner. We could probably camp nearby (was told years ago that you could camp just off site and hear the wolves howling at night), or somewhere on Greenhorn Mountain. The next day, cross over Greenhorn Mountain and drop down to Bishop Castle, then return home via I-25 or Hwy 115 (Florence/Penrose).

Question:
Any chance the Cloverdale Mine BBQ, Fishing, Gold Panning (Near Westcliffe) Tin Cup, Saint Elmo
run can be done in May? Is that an over nighter too?
Cloverdale, Tin Cup, and Saint Elmo area are all above 10k feet elevation; likely not open by the end of May.

I know some great campsites on greenhorn mountain. That whole whole area should be snow free in June.
July 4 is traditionally considered to be the time that the Alpine passes melt out and open up.

Hermit pass is a great trail with many miles above tree line. Must wait until August or September because the last switch back from the top stays snowed in late.
On the same trip, we could drive north to Hillside and go west on Road 198. It’s a great scenic trail and ends at an alpine meadow. It has a switchback that melts out late like hermit pass.
This is all based on my history of doing these trails 30 years ago.

I don’t know anything about the Cloverdale mine; will leave that recommendation to others. Hancock pass, Cumberland pass, and Tincup pass is a good loop. I think it’s near Williams pass. We can also see the old train tunnel and turntable ruins between Hancock and Cumberland. There are some good side roads, and a lake we can drive to off of the road to Hancock pass. Again, 30 years ago, and without looking at the maps, I don’t remember the name of the lakes.

If we do mount Antero, we can also drive Baldwin Gulch on the same trip. It is very remote feeling and spectacular and it is a side road off of the Mountain Antero Trail.

I’ve never driven Williams pass. I would love to add it to the trip schedule.
Argentine Pass is one of my favorites. I know a great place to camp at tree line. I have almost always seen mountain goats up there.

So... 3rd weekend coming up...is it the Gulches (on the basis we did it this time last year)?
Spitballing...Canyon City, road across from the entrance to the old prison.
Down a bit to a road on the right leading through a forestry area.
Trail head is about half-way, on the left.
Rocky section leading to a short bit of sketchy shelf road, on up the rutted hill passing a few camp areas.
Eventually reaching what I like to call 'the climb'. A steep, bouldery section that dead-ends at the top of the hill (for all I know).
Looks like this. Red arrow is as far as I made it on 31s. Caveat - had to back down thereafter.
0525201511b.jpg

Could make it a another pot luck?

Webster Pass and Radical Hill is a great trip. Again, late summer, due to a snow drift that hangs out at the top of Webster Pass.

those trails...are they day trips or...?

Last edited:
those trails...are they day trips or...?

They can be day trips but would make for a long day. Webster (and Red Cone, btw) are north of Fairplay and the route (via Radical Hill and out on Middle Fork Swan Creek) deposits you in Breckenridge.

Are we able to pin this (make it a sticky) to the top and remove the 2021 trail schedule pin? Also not sure if the meeting schedule can be posted as a sticky as well. And for all out there my work schedule makes it hard for me to make meetings but I am usually off on Thursday and would like to poll others if Thursdays work for others? Thanks.

Are we able to pin this (make it a sticky) to the top and remove the 2021 trail schedule pin? Also not sure if the meeting schedule can be posted as a sticky as well. And for all out there my work schedule makes it hard for me to make meetings but I am usually off on Thursday and would like to poll others if Thursdays work for others? Thanks.
I'm not sure who has the ability to "sticky" or "pin" threads, maybe @PWCO70crusier (kyle)? @MountainRam is listed as "moderator" or used to be but we've not seen him in a while.

I'm not sure who has the ability to "sticky" or "pin" threads, maybe @PWCO70crusier (kyle)? @MountainRam is listed as "moderator" or used to be but we've not seen him in a while.
Wow. Well if we can get access from one of them I’m willing to do the work to edit and add the stickies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom