2021 FJ Summit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

well @unleashd from what I have heard about finding a place to crash that time of year you might want to make a reservation now.
I have a tent site already reserved at the local KOA
... just saying its better to be safe and reserve and cancel if need be then playing Mary & Joseph and the inn is full.

@unleashd are coming to the fall crawl by any chance? If so we can talk around the campfire about it

@unleashd are coming to the fall crawl by any chance? If so we can talk around the campfire about it

I am registered for the Fall Crawl. But, I will be able to confirm it only a week or two before that due to work commitments.
well @unleashd from what I have heard about finding a place to crash that time of year you might want to make a reservation now.
I have a tent site already reserved at the local KOA
... just saying its better to be safe and reserve and cancel if need be then playing Mary & Joseph and the inn is full.

Thanks for the heads up. I will look into this.

Bump for the holidays

It looks like my 3 big wheeling trips in 2022 will be:
CRR in April at Uwharrie national forest NC - 4 days
FJ Summit in Ouray CO for end of July -14 days
and of course...
Fall Crawl in October down in Gore VA - 4 days

It sucks to see that the FJ Summit will be no more, it seems that’s the way these big events are trending. You’ll have carry on the tradition on a smaller scale @Svensk120

Last edited:
It sucks to see that the FJ Summit will be no more, it seems that’s the way these big events are trending. You’ll have carry on the tradition on a smaller scale @Svensk120
Yeah I just got the email saying it was canceled. That really sucks.

Already people have posted online that they had already booked their rooms and made their vacation plans. I am going to assume that at least some are still going to go out there even w/o the event going on.

I will have to have a long talk with the gf and see what her thoughts are as well. We were both looking forward to the trip and we will probably still go even if there isn't any event. The trails are still there. The joy of the trip is still there. Also I am sure there will be plenty of people to meet there as well.

I don't think that there is any other event going on that particular time frame that we could switch over too either. So it looks like a hard choice is going to have to be made.
Luckily only the reservation fee has been spent for the KOA camp site.

Already people have posted online that they had already booked their rooms and made their vacation plans. I am going to assume that at least some are still going to go out there even w/o the event going on.

I will have to have a long talk with the gf and see what her thoughts are as well. We were both looking forward to the trip and we will probably still go even if there isn't any event. The trails are still there. The joy of the trip is still there. Also I am sure there will be plenty of people to meet there as well.

I don't think that there is any other event going on that particular time frame that we could switch over too either. So it looks like a hard choice is going to have to be made.
I would absolutely still go. Sometimes these things are even more fun in a small group of likeminded strangers. I saw a few people in the the GXOR thread mention that they will carry on and hope to meet people out there anyways.

What is the reason(s) they cancelled the event?
they didnt really give a reason here is a part of the email....

While these friendships and memories will live forever, after 13 FJ Summit events and 16 years of dedication, with fond memories and heavy hearts, the Directors have decided to end the FJ Summit. There is no single reason why we’ve decided to discontinue the FJ Summit, but please understand that we did not arrive at this decision lightly. For the directors, the friendships we’ve forged over the years have made us family

they had to cancel it the past few years because of covid and I guess its just too much too many people to crowded ect ect....

@Svensk120 what dates will you be in the San Juan’s and which town will be your base?
I’ll be in Durango starting around Jul-20ish, then heading to silverton on the 27th for a week. I’m no expert, but have driven most of the trails in that area multiple times. Happy to meet up if you still go

@Svensk120 what dates will you be in the San Juan’s and which town will be your base?
I’ll be in Durango starting around Jul-20ish, then heading to silverton on the 27th for a week. I’m no expert, but have driven most of the trails in that area multiple times. Happy to meet up if you still go
I am going to be staying at the KOA outside of Ouray. check in is 19th and we leave on the 24th... or least thats the plan

People get burned out. When new people don’t step up to help and or the organizer can’t let go of the rains. It gets harder and harder to do an event. These are the reason we don’t try and grow Fall Crawl.

Last edited:
What is the reason(s) they cancelled the event?
I would speculate that it just got too big for volunteers to manage, too many differing opinions within those volunteers, and I’ve heard the local towns don’t really care to support events of that size. Everyone also seems to complain of side x sides being obnoxious and cause traffic.

I would speculate that it just got too big for volunteers to manage, too many differing opinions within those volunteers, and I’ve heard the local towns don’t really care to support events of that size. Everyone also seems to complain of side x sides being obnoxious and cause traffic.
For an event like this you really need the local towns folk to be behind it as well and as things grow and grow not everyone has the same ideals and acts responsibly like the original people might have.
factor in Covid and everything shut down and the towns there are largely tourist spots and the lack of workforce as well as having to distance and all can make it hard to have a large influx of people anymore.
Also on in internet the last few Summits and other events that have happened even during covid the biggest complaint has been the amount of traffic on the trails. The biggest issue of that traffic were the Side by Sides tearing about the places.

@Jakes40 is right about the main leadership either not wanting to change or nobody stepping up to help or take over when people are tired and need to step away. So many events in all sorts of industries and hobbies have gone away because of that.

I like the Fall Crawl at the size it is currently. it fits the venue well and the vibe is nice and relaxing too. Too much bigger and it would be unruly and hard to manage.

Are you going to Hundreds in the Hills? See you there.

Reactions: BCM
Sad day. I was never able to make the sign up. That Main Street group pic is rad. Cool event while it lasted.
Love the area, look forward to being up there this year.
We could always start a group for an event?

Yep, I’ll be there regardless of an official event or not. See you out there
Hundredin the Hills is still on its the FJ Summit that isnt.... or are you saying your still going to Ouray for the dates that the Summit was going to be held?

Hundredin the Hills is still on its the FJ Summit that isnt.... or are you saying your still going to Ouray for the dates that the Summit was going to be held?
Yep, I’ll be there regardless of any events. Not sure when FJ summit was, but I’ll be there 7/20ish - 8/3ish. I should be in for HIH, but if that event is canceled Im still going to be there exploring

Yep, I’ll be there regardless of any events. Not sure when FJ summit was, but I’ll be there 7/20ish - 8/3ish. I should be in for HIH, but if that event is canceled Im still going to be there exploring
I will be in Ouray for 19th and we leave on the 24th

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom