2018 GX460 Luxury Level Kit Installation (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey does anyone know the hex size for the acuator bolts? i sprayed the whole area (well all the bolts needed) in liquid wrench..i'll do so again a few times before i have to take them out on the weekend).

If you're referring to the Ironman suspension, I don't see why you'd need the rear airbags. You'll be getting more lift from the aftermarket suspension than anything the factory airbags could ever offer, eh. (Had to put in the Canadian "eh") :D
And as far as I know, there is not anyway to keep the factory airbags when adding a suspension lift.

actually there is a way to trick the height sensor...using some washers to lift it a little. I was impressed with the range of it, so if you needed say .5" here or there it would not be a problem and it would still enable the HI and LO settings.

If you're referring to the Ironman suspension, I don't see why you'd need the rear airbags. You'll be getting more lift from the aftermarket suspension than anything the factory airbags could ever offer, eh. (Had to put in the Canadian "eh") :D
And as far as I know, there is not anyway to keep the factory airbags when adding a suspension lift.

Actually just want the front springs to "level" it out, the rear height is perfect for us to get things in and out also for the dogs, was just wondering if can just put on the front shocks/springs, and rear only the shocks but keep the air bags.

Yes, we (specifically I) say eh a lot in questions.

I did this over the weekend. It took me 8 hours by myself. 5 hours on the first side and 2+ on the second.

Of the notable changes to the document posted above....
1. I disconnected the sway bar only at the lca's (and then had to Jack it back into place
2. I released the ball joint on the lower arm (2 easy to reach bolts) to get access
3. My spacers turned the struts around 180 degrees so then my AVS brackets had to be reinstalled in the other direction...and I had to cut them a bit shorter.

The hardest part was removing the AVS actuator... In my case one of the bolts stripped...luckily it was one that was accessible and I used a vice grips to break it loose.

Also my truck is a 16 and I'm in canada so I was fighting surface rust in some cases.

I forgot about the avs sensor turning. I reamed the bracket out to remove the flat spot so it would go back on normal.

just an update, i had to 'adjust/trick' the rear about .75 of an inch and i haven't noticed any difference in ride. I'm going for 275/70r18 and picked up a pair of used KO2's to test with it with. With the 2" front level i had to make room in the wheel well and i might even have to shave/grind about 1/8 of an inch off the body mount. I really think it has to do with how everyone's arms are...I noticed my control arms have the wheel sitting towards the rear (relatively speaking) meaning that i could adjust them in theory to move the front wheel forward about .75 of an inch. However that might throw off the caster angle...

Hi, this is Eric from Maryland... I have a couple questions about the product you used. Says the front leveling spacers are 2.5".... I was always under the impression 1.5 would make it level, anything 2.0-2.5 would make the front end higher. Is your truck level? Or , is the front slightly higher. Looks level in the pics... Also, I assume in the "after" pic you included, you do not have the rear raised - is it in the "neutral" position? I am looking for a level front end, even with the rear. I have a 2021 luxury. Thanks so much for your time.
Eric

Front Suspension Lift Kit - 2.5 inch Lift - Compatible with 2005-2021 Toyota Tacoma (6-Lug), 2003-2021 4Runner, 2007-2014 FJ Cruiser (4WD) - Leveling Kit Strut Upper Top Aluminum Spacers Accessories​

Visit the RockTrix Store

Helliwell10: I am planning to add same front leveling kit next week. What is the nut size in step #7 to use with SST tool? How did you remove it without special service tool?

Front leveling kit and "airbag trick" exceeded my expectations. 265/70 17 Blizzak snow tires and FN(x) Pro wheels. The rear airbags maintain 1.5" lift on high. The pic shown is with airbag lift activated. Ride quality is still excellent and AVS functions the same.

IMG-4833.JPG

IMG-4831.JPG

Love to hear happy endings! 😍

Thanks for the info. The 1.5" leveler spacer is on the way, mild and simple for now. I'll trik the airbags for a little extra and then just focus on tires.
Just bought it and it needs a little alignment and wheel balance anyway so might as well.
I'll soak all the nuts down with PB Blaster the day before. Certainly a little different than the jeep I sold with all this technology!

I wasn't able to find any great info on a spacer kit install for a newer Luxury GX. Turns out to be a little of a project. All told it took about 5 hours for the two of us. This was definitely a two man job. I'll add more to this tutorial as time permits. The plan for the vehicle is KO2's on 17'' wheels with rock sliders in the near future. Patiently waiting for all terrain tires to arrive for now...

For now enjoy the before and after :)

Spacer used: Front Suspension Lift Kit

View attachment 2229128

Are your bags in normal or High height?

Anyone who has done the front spacer, after the install does the front luxury shock have enough compression to still hit the factory bump stop before bottoming out?

Anyone who has done the front spacer, after the install does the front luxury shock have enough compression to still hit the factory bump stop before bottoming out?
That is a great question.

:hmm:

The problem you're wanting to avoid is that the spring spacer could allow the spring to coil bind before full travel is reached, right?

You could jack the suspension up so the wheel is at full droop, and then measure the gaps between each coil on the spring and add it up. The front motion ratio is .53 to 1 (the shock moves about half as much as the wheel). You want the sum of the coil gaps to be comfortably greater than the total suspension travel.

With the front struts another possible problem is the shock bottoming out before the bump stop is fully compressed. I think Tinkerer's video on toyota IFS says how much additional compression travel the stock front shock has. The spacer should be less thick than that to avoid the shock bottoming.

I would think that no manufacturer would sell spacers that would cause the shock to bottom out before the bump stop but the 2" spacer lifts are in that territory.

The problem you're wanting to avoid is that the spring spacer could allow the spring to coil bind before full travel is reached, right?

You could jack the suspension up so the wheel is at full droop, and then measure the gaps between each coil on the spring and add it up. The front motion ratio is .53 to 1 (the shock moves about half as much as the wheel). You want the sum of the coil gaps to be comfortably greater than the total suspension travel.

With the front struts another possible problem is the shock bottoming out before the bump stop is fully compressed. I think Tinkerer's video on toyota IFS says how much additional compression travel the stock front shock has. The spacer should be less thick than that to avoid the shock bottoming.

I would think that no manufacturer would sell spacers that would cause the shock to bottom out before the bump stop but the 2" spacer lifts are in that territory.

I've watched his videos (legend), but I'm not sure if the base shocks of those years have the same dimensions/travel numbers as the adjustable luxury shocks. Haha this was my attempt at seeing what somebody else's experience was before getting my lazy ass up and checking the numbers myself. 🤡

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom