2018 GSMTR Registration Is Open (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You don’t want to miss the 27th annual Great Smoky Mountain Trail Ride (GSMTR) May 14-19, 2018 at Wind Rock Park, Oliver Springs, TN. There will be Guided Trail Rides daily; there will be Stock friendly excursion rides and a Ladies trail ride. Thursday evening will be Taco’s and games, Friday evening Hot dog and Hamburger cookout and a Band and Saturday evening BBQ Dinner and our awesome Raffle, there will be refreshments all three nights. Saturday morning Southeast Overland will lead a recovery seminar followed by the blindfolded driver challenge. For more information and to register www.stlca.org/gsmtr Hope to see you all there.

10 days until preregistration closes. Preregistering is the only way you are guaranteed to receive one of this year’s awesome event T-shirts and a driver’s bag full of goodies. You don’t want to miss all the great things we have planned, Guided Trail Rides, Guided Stock Friendly Excursion Rides, Ladies guided ride Friday. Thursday evening Taco’s, corn hole tournament and Karaoke, Friday evening Hamburger and Hot dog cookout and the band, Saturday morning winching and recovery seminar by Southeast Overland followed by Blind Fold Driver race, then in the evening a BBQ supper and the Raffle.

Is anyone from PA heading down to GSMTR this year? It looks like it's only about a 6.5 hour drive for me here in Indiana, so I think I may sign up and try and go for Friday and Saturday.

David, you should absolutely go, it's a great time. I've been down there three times so far, love it! If you do decide to go, I can get you in touch with some of the guys from the Appalachia Cruisers. They know the park well, will show you a fun time, and are a good bunch. Keep in mind they really like to party, I mean REALLY, so be prepared. They'll gladly introduce you to "apple pie", which is moonshine, yes, moonshine. :hillbilly:

David, you should absolutely go, it's a great time. I've been down there three times so far, love it! If you do decide to go, I can get you in touch with some of the guys from the Appalachia Cruisers. They know the park well, will show you a fun time, and are a good bunch. Keep in mind they really like to party, I mean REALLY, so be prepared. They'll gladly introduce you to "apple pie", which is moonshine, yes, moonshine. :hillbilly:

So while this update is pretty late, I did manage to get down to GSMTR this year. It was a good time.

I ended up leaving Indiana Thursday afternoon. I would have liked to have left Wednesday night, but I hadn't gotten any sleep the preceding night due to a final that day, so I decided to wait until Thursday. I drove through Nashville, and stopped at Martin's for some Bar-b-que, and also got to meet up with my uncle for a few, which was cool.

IMG_3585.jpg

After a 2 am Walmart stop after I realized I had literally no food or water with me, I got to Windrock campground around 3:30 AM and set up shop as quietly as I could. There was still some snoring going on by the time I was done so I was at least somewhat successful in keeping quiet. The RTT ended up being awesome to sleep in, especially with all the rain, but the extra weight up top was really disconcerting on some of the off camber terrain.

IMG_3638.jpg

Friday morning seemed a lot more informal than how CMCC is - hardly anybody was up by the official 9 AM driver's meeting time, and it seemed that each group left at their own time. I ended up in a group with around 5 other trucks led by 'Hugh', and we hit the trails.

IMG_9499.JPG

IMG_3623.jpg

The 80 (above) ^ was pretty sweet - 37's, t-case gears, ect. and cruised through anything. 'Hugh's 100 Series made everything look easy with him behind the wheel. Tennessee had a lot of beautiful scenery, and the place we were at had some especially nice places.

IMG_9539.JPG

more pictures

Saturday morning was the blindfolded driver race, which was very amusing to watch. If I ever have the chance, I definitely want to try that. After that, I set out with 2 other trucks, the GX I had wheeled with the day before, and a blue 60 series that had arrived Friday night. We went to find some wind turbines and then a train. We stopped for lunch at a scenic overlook - one of many.

IMG_9546.JPG

IMG_9556.JPG

IMG_9574.JPG

IMG_3671.jpg

IMG_9582.JPG

Last edited:
hardly anybody was up by the official 9 AM driver's meeting time

Ahem...it IS the South, everything moves slower there.

Glad you had a good time, it is awesome down there. Did you walk up to the turbines and stand under one? It's damn impressive.

Never saw that train, very cool!

Ahem...it IS the South, everything moves slower there.

Glad you had a good time, it is awesome down there. Did you walk up to the turbines and stand under one? It's damn impressive.

Never saw that train, very cool!

Haha, I’m not one to complain about a late start, I just wished I had known that’s how things worked before I was up at 7:00.

I didn’t stand right under it, but we got fairly close. We were speculating how they got those enormous blades up the mountain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom