2013 GX 460 Radio upgrade to CarPlay USB/AUX port not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My USB/AUX port does not work. The USB is not getting voltage checked the following 1. the 7.5 amp fuse is good 2. the option to select AUX from my radio it grayed out. I can connect to my phone with bluetooth. I tried a GROOM VL2 it would not work because my AUX does not work.

Do I need to get a whole new unit with CarPlay if so what choices would I have. Thanks in advance for all reply and suggestions.

My USB/AUX port does not work. The USB is not getting voltage checked the following 1. the 7.5 amp fuse is good 2. the option to select AUX from my radio it grayed out. I can connect to my phone with bluetooth. I tried a GROOM VL2 it would not work because my AUX does not work.

Do I need to get a whole new unit with CarPlay if so what choices would I have. Thanks in advance for all reply and suggestions.
You need to go read the user manual or watch a youtube video. Your factory USB and Aux ports no longer work as you installed a unit inline to that connection making them obsolete. You need to install your USB cable to the GROM unit and change the radio function to USB so the GROM interface will populate. Good luck!

You need to go read the user manual or watch a youtube video. Your factory USB and Aux ports no longer work as you installed a unit inline to that connection making them obsolete. You need to install your USB cable to the GROM unit and change the radio function to USB so the GROM interface will populate. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. I installed the groom system. I worked the service tech for a few days trying different things. He told me to send it back and I got a refund. He said since my aux port did not work their system would not work. I am interested if there is a complete system that anyone has tried. I think maybe I have a circuit card bad in my radio.. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the reply. I installed the groom system. I worked the service tech for a few days trying different things. He told me to send it back and I got a refund. He said since my aux port did not work their system would not work. I am interested if there is a complete system that anyone has tried. I think maybe I have a circuit card bad in my radio.. Thanks for the reply.
Sounds like your tech is inexperienced. Every single system out there completely replaces the aux/usb port, as in the factory USB/aux ports will no longer work period. you have to supply a new USB extension from the GROM unit. I have a GROM unit as well. It's possible you got a dud. The only other option is Beatsonic, however, it does the same thing. You will not get a carplay system that doesn't replace your USB/Aux ports. That said there is an initialization procedure to get the GROM to work on the first try. You really should watch an install video or have your tech watch one. All of this could have been figured out by watching that video.

Sounds like your tech is inexperienced. Every single system out there completely replaces the aux/usb port, as in the factory USB/aux ports will no longer work period. you have to supply a new USB extension from the GROM unit. I have a GROM unit as well. It's possible you got a dud. The only other option is Beatsonic, however, it does the same thing. You will not get a carplay system that doesn't replace your USB/Aux ports. That said there is an initialization procedure to get the GROM to work on the first try. You really should watch an install video or have your tech watch one. All of this could have been figured out by watching that video.
That could be the tech is inexperienced. I watched the video, the tech emailed the start up file and I uploaded it to the GROM unit. The USB on the GROM would work I never could the GROM device to show up on my screen. I checked the voltage across the GROM output pins and they all checked good. I am just confused a little on why it did not work. I saw where Beatsonic would be coming out with a wireless unit at the end of the month. The tech thought it might be unit as well. He said it tested good when I returned it. Currently I do not have power at my USB port. Thanks again for the reply.

1. Format USB to FAT32
2. Rename the .hex file to gromvl1.hex (Important!)
3. Put "gromvl1.hex" on the USB Drive
Firmware Update Steps:
1. Turn the vehicle off
2. Unplug the VLine fully
3. Plug the Firmware USB into slot USB2
4. Wait 15 seconds
5. Plug 20 pin Power Harness back into VLine
6. Wait 15 seconds
7. Plug everything back into the VLine
8. Start up the Vehicle

That could be the tech is inexperienced. I watched the video, the tech emailed the start up file and I uploaded it to the GROM unit. The USB on the GROM would work I never could the GROM device to show up on my screen. I checked the voltage across the GROM output pins and they all checked good. I am just confused a little on why it did not work. I saw where Beatsonic would be coming out with a wireless unit at the end of the month. The tech thought it might be unit as well. He said it tested good when I returned it. Currently I do not have power at my USB port. Thanks again for the reply.

1. Format USB to FAT32
2. Rename the .hex file to gromvl1.hex (Important!)
3. Put "gromvl1.hex" on the USB Drive
Firmware Update Steps:
1. Turn the vehicle off
2. Unplug the VLine fully
3. Plug the Firmware USB into slot USB2
4. Wait 15 seconds
5. Plug 20 pin Power Harness back into VLine
6. Wait 15 seconds
7. Plug everything back into the VLine
8. Start up the Vehicle
If you don't currently have power to your USB without the GROM installed then I would be suspect that you have a wiring harness issue, or it is currently unplugged. Which GROM did you order? There a two variants for GX460. The radio unit is different for 2014+ and for the 2010-13 you need the 2010-2012 labeled unit; it works for all 2010-13 even though they don't include that year on the unit. I have a 2013 as well, everything works on mine. You just press go to USB and it populates once the unit initializes. I don't recall having to update firmware prior to install, that can all be done wirelessly once you can initialize it.

Per GROM manual:
To INITIALIZE:
1. Put Ignition Switch to “ACC” or “ON” position
2. Wait up to 5 Seconds
3. Put Ignition Switch to “OFF” position
4. Wait 1 minute
5. Turn Ignition Switch back to “ACC” or “ON” Position
6. Press the DISC button until you are able to select the VLINE interface. (may take more than 2 presses of the DISC for accessing as first press is for built-in CD/DVD changer in most cases)

For the last step I believe that is not accurate for our year, you press the AUX-USB button, not DISC

If you don't currently have power to your USB without the GROM installed then I would be suspect that you have a wiring harness issue, or it is currently unplugged. Which GROM did you order? There a two variants for GX460. The radio unit is different for 2014+ and for the 2010-13 you need the 2010-2012 labeled unit; it works for all 2010-13 even though they don't include that year on the unit. I have a 2013 as well, everything works on mine. You just press go to USB and it populates once the unit initializes. I don't recall having to update firmware prior to install, that can all be done wirelessly once you can initialize it.

Per GROM manual:
To INITIALIZE:
1. Put Ignition Switch to “ACC” or “ON” position
2. Wait up to 5 Seconds
3. Put Ignition Switch to “OFF” position
4. Wait 1 minute
5. Turn Ignition Switch back to “ACC” or “ON” Position
6. Press the DISC button until you are able to select the VLINE interface. (may take more than 2 presses of the DISC for accessing as first press is for built-in CD/DVD changer in most cases)

For the last step I believe that is not accurate for our year, you press the AUX-USB button, not DISC
Your help is great much appreciated... The tech had me unplug my multimedia ECU that is behind the glove box what a pain that was. But the GROM would still not work. This is the last thing he told before I sent it back. "Since the factory module was not working and does not seem to be causing the issue, it might just be the radio itself as we use the same port on the radio that the Multimedia ECU uses".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom