2011 Second horn wiring harness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a 2007 and the wiring connection for a second horn was taped(hidden with tape) to the wiring coming out of the firewall lying along the psgr. side fender under the hood. The 2010 also had this feature. However, I have removed all the tape covering the wiring from the firewall forward to the air intake and there is no connection on our new 2011. There were bulges, but they turned out to be folds of wire. The wiring layout looks different on the 2011 when compared to the pre-2011 models.
On the blue forum, people who have 2007 thru 2010s tell me to look harder for the harness, but me and several other 2011 owners have told them there is no second horn harness/plug on the psgr. side. One guy actually took his to the dealer and they couldn't find the plug and play connection(maybe an ignorant tech?). Of course, their parts departments are happy to sell you the second horn and the service department will only charge you a $100 labor to 'hard wire'? it.
I made the mistake of buying the 2nd horn before I took the tape off the above mentioned wiring just trusting what I had read on the blue forum and my previous experience with our '07.

Now my question: Has anyone who has a 2011 or who has actually looked under the hood of a 2011 seen a 'plug and play' harness for the second horn?

I have next to zero electrical skills. Trying to follow the 'cut/splice this wire' approach from people who are talking about installing a second horn on a pre-2011 is not giving me a warm fuzzy as they have not been under the hood of a 2011 and the wiring looks different.

I do want a second horn as the lone low tone is very inadequate. Last resort, I'll pay the dealer $100 labor.

[OK, over 100 views and no response, I'll try.]
It's very easy. Mount it next to your other horn behind the grill. Splice the red (signal/power) wire into the same color on your existing horn. Then attach the black (ground) wire to any part of the body. I found "another" mounting location behind the grill on the other side of the hood latch - so that the stock horn and the secondary horn are now symmetrically mounted (one on left, one on right). There is no reason to pay the dealership tech $100 for 5 minutes worth of work. If the wires aren't red and black, then I'll have to defer to someone with a 2011 model or you can try and trace your existing horn's wires to see which one is the ground wire - which will be mounted to a clean surface on the body/frame and probably not into a wiring harness.

...or if the two horns have the same color wires splice both wires from the new horn into the matching wires on the stock horn - Done.

BMThiker, thanks for your response. Unfortunately, the 2011s may be unique. There is only one wire going to the primary horn. It is thin and grey in color.

The second horn 'kit' I bought has no wires, except for a separate black grounding wire that came with the kit.

The mystery continues.

I can only speculate since I've not seen any wiring diagrams for the '11 model year but...since they are making them for Oz/Asia and making LHD vehicles, seeing other changes to the engine bay do to this change, I'd guess the wiring for the second horn has changed also.

I can only guess that any references to previous year models won't apply to your new rig...

BMThiker, thanks for your response. Unfortunately, the 2011s may be unique. There is only one wire going to the primary horn. It is thin and grey in color.

The second horn 'kit' I bought has no wires, except for a separate black grounding wire that came with the kit.

The mystery continues.

OK, then disregard everything I said about the wire colors above. The "ground" is the metal bracket mount and the single wire is the signal/power wire.

What I have learned about installing a second horn in a 2011:
1. Fellow FJers are more helpful than the computers in the Toyota Service Dept. or Toyota Parts Dept. Thank you BMthiker and MTbcoach. Thanks also to FJesus on the blue forum. It took awhile, but the little dim bulb in my head finally started to glow.
2. There is definitely no plug and play connnection for a second horn on a 2011 like there is on 2010 and 2007-2009 models. The bulges on the 2011 are just looped wires.
3. The single grey wire going to the original horn on a 2011 is the power wire. A tap/splice works well to get power from this wire.
4. The ground is the metal bracket mount attached to the back of the 2nd horn($15 high tone from Auto Zone looks like the original low tone) and then bolted into the extra tapped hole on the same support the original horn is bolted to.
5. The bolt size is M6-1.0. I used a 16mm length found at Home Depot and used 14 gauge wire, although I was told by a Homer that 16 gauge would work.
6. On the electrically competent scale, I have moved from a 1.5 to a 1.501.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom