2007 GX470 shocks/struts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for recommendations on front struts/shocks & linkages for my recently purchased 2007 GX470. Would like quality, but object to OEM prices. Are they worth it? Hard to justify nearly $1000. Is there a happy medium? Thanks!

Most people who don't lift and keep the OEM shocks/struts ride around in SPORT mode 100% of the time. I replaced my OEM setup with a standard Gabriel set for a 2007 4runner V8. They feel like SPORT mode all the time, and cost just $285 from Rock Auto.

Iron Man 4x4 is what you seek.
Good quality, great company, and their stuff is on sale right now.
I have the Nitro Gas set-up, and am very happy. I opted for the “comfort” springs, which is closest to stock ride.
Gave me about 2.5” lift, ride is great...smooth, very controlled, firmed up everything.
I also did their UCAs.
Done some medium-duty trails and lots of freeway, they work great.
Good luck

Iron Man 4x4 is what you seek.
Good quality, great company, and their stuff is on sale right now.
I have the Nitro Gas set-up, and am very happy. I opted for the “comfort” springs, which is closest to stock ride.
Gave me about 2.5” lift, ride is great...smooth, very controlled, firmed up everything.
I also did their UCAs.
Done some medium-duty trails and lots of freeway, they work great.
Good luck

I believe the OPs reference to "OEM" and "$1000" means he's leaving the truck stock height and wondering if the OEM adjustable shocks are worth the serious price premium.

Yep, you’re probably right.
Just giving another option because he asked for a “happy medium” and is perhaps open to alternative ideas.

Just get Bilstein 5100's all around, set the front's on the lowest clip, which will approximate stock ride height. Like $350 -$400 for the shocks, good quality, good ride.

Thanks everyone for writing. I gather there's a significant amount of jacking up & lowering going on. Not my thing. What I mean by 'happy medium' is finding the sweet spot between OEM R&D recoup prices and aftermarket quality. longevity.
I had found Iron Man 4x4. lol... I bought the GX because of my Tennessee driveway... There are places on the property I need the 4x4. It's not an adventure, it's pulling the lawnmower trailer to the other plateaus! I look at the 4x4 as a necessary evil to be cared for and not poked unnecessarily.
The previous owners replaced the rear air bags & shocks just before selling, no need to do them just yet. I hadn't found the Bilstein 5100's. People here had been referring to them as 5100's - not much to work with there, thanks.

Thanks for the referrals. Anyone have input on calipers? I've found for aftermarket new calipers are Power Stop and Callahan as players with few reviews. Longevity is the name of this game. I get irritated at stuff that doesn't last 250K miles.

Last edited:
Minor technical detail on the Bilstein 5100's, they don't show Lexus as a supported manufacturer. I'm guessing it's a shock is a shock is a shock, and there's a toyota make & model work alike application? Which one?
***update. it was the site I was looking at. Other sites show lexus support.

Minor technical detail on the Bilstein 5100's, they don't show Lexus as a supported manufacturer. I'm guessing it's a shock is a shock is a shock, and there's a toyota make & model work alike application? Which one?
***update. it was the site I was looking at. Other sites show lexus support.

The GX is the same as the 4Runner just make sure the 5100's are for the 4Runner Limited which came with the same V8. I like wheelers offroad, but they are avialable almost everywhere.

For calipers, I replaced all 4 corners with Napa Gold reman calipers and rotors and ceramic pads Lifetime warranty as they tend to seize pistons in the rear calipers. After replacing soft lines with braided and fresh fluid/bleeding it will put me into the windshield if I slam on them.

The GX is the same as the 4Runner just make sure the 5100's are for the 4Runner Limited which came with the same V8. I like wheelers offroad, but they are avialable almost everywhere.

For calipers, I replaced all 4 corners with Napa Gold reman calipers and rotors and ceramic pads Lifetime warranty as they tend to seize pistons in the rear calipers. After replacing soft lines with braided and fresh fluid/bleeding it will put me into the windshield if I slam on them.
I was wondering what you meant by 'reman', till I hit the website. Wonder if all that seizing is because they are heavily recycling parts. I'm not seeing any 'gold' on Napaonline.com. Their theme is "total eclipse".

Last edited:
All rear calipers on these are prone to seizing, mine had 1 rear OEM seized when I replaced all 4. Something about the design Toyota did makes them susceptible.

All rear calipers on these are prone to seizing, mine had 1 rear OEM seized when I replaced all 4. Something about the design Toyota did makes them susceptible.
Good to know. Makes the argument for cheap spare parts in motion. If you contain the labor costs by DIY, one could come out ahead. Front brakes take all the abuse so go quality, rears are cranky so treat them like light bulbs. (keep a fresh pair cold in the fridge. Wut? That's a VW Bug air conditioning beer joke)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom