2006 LED Brake Light Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NorCalFJ100

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I have been finally able to purchase my new baby - 2006 Land Cruiser!!!!! I am so excited.

Now, I searched for this, but cant seem to find an answer. The rear lights are in 2 sections, one on the body and one on the tailgate. Now when I press the brake pedal only the brake lights on the body section of the lights come on. They do not work on the tailgate section. When I turn the headlights on, the tailgate section of the lights comes on - they just don't get brighter when you press the brake pedal...So it would seem there is some sort of relay/switch issue that is not communicating to the other section of the taillights to come on when pressing the brake pedal.

I am wondering if the brake lights on the tailgate section were ever meant to work like that...maybe its just the body section of the lights. I would think that would be weird...but I have no way to compare to another truck and dont have access to a wiring diagram.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tailgate brake lights do not exist...that's why you see only the brake lights on the body turn on.

Tail lights are on both the body and tailgate.

What you're seeing is normal.

Steve

Steve, thank you so much. That is a huge relief to know that. I've been searching nonstop and couldn't find confirmation of that....I do think it is strange Toyota designed it that way, seems like the full brake light would be safer. Do you think there's any way to wire the tailgate lights to be used as brake lights?

Steve, thank you so much. That is a huge relief to know that. I've been searching nonstop and couldn't find confirmation of that....I do think it is strange Toyota designed it that way, seems like the full brake light would be safer. Do you think there's any way to wire the tailgate lights to be used as brake lights?
You would need to change the bulb sockets on the TG from those that work with a single filament bulb to those that fit a dual filament bulb. No big deal, but it would require you to either modify the new bulb sockets or the cutouts they fit in the TG.

You'll need to bring a hot-with-brake lead from the oem body light to the tailgate...a wire can be spliced easily by removing the jack and tool kit. The wire then needs to feed to the tailgate...a real PITA / biatch job. Wire access is through a plastic conduit near the TG hinge area on the driver's side. Wire needs to be threaded from behind the jack area though the conduit and into the tailgate. I'd say it's doable if you're patient. ;)

ETA...I'm trying to weigh the benefit of 2 more brake lights on the back, given the center-mounted lamp.

Steve

Last edited:
You would need to change the bulb sockets on the TG from those that work with a single filament bulb to those that fit a dual filament bulb. No big deal, but it would require you to either modify the new bulb sockets or the cutouts they fit in the TG.

You'll need to bring a hot-with-brake lead from the oem body light to the tailgate...a wire can be spliced easily by removing the jack and tool kit. The wire then needs to feed to the tailgate...a real PITA / biatch job. Wire access is through a plastic conduit near the TG hinge area on the driver's side. Wire needs to be threaded from behind the jack area though the conduit and into the tailgate. I'd say it's doable if you're patient. ;)

ETA...I'm trying to weigh the benefit of 2 more brake lights on the back, given the center-mounted lamp.

Steve

Great information Steve. I appreciate the response!! I agree with the center mounted lamp and probably not needing the additional brake lights. After getting confirmation from you, I have been looking at taillights on newer vehicles on the road and it seems this is a pretty common setup. Brake lights work on the body and the trunk-lid/TG lights are only on when the headlights are on. The LED's are super bright anyway. Heck, if Toyota didn't think it was needed, we are probably safe - right? ;) Thank you again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom