2004 Tundra susp, wheel/ tire Q... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought a one owner 2004 Tundra 4x4 ext cab with 80k. I want some 33's (285/75/16) so I bought some CL LX450 wheels for $80 (4.5" BS correct?) I was originally going to throw on a 2" coil spacer but some of the reading I've been doing on Tundrasolutions have got me shying away from it (I had a 3" on my old Taco no big complaints just stiff.) they say CV and ball joint wear is a big issue. Bilstein 5100s for a 2" lift is the more common budget lift, but I'd just as soon leave it alone if I can.

Anybody have any input on a 285/75/16 on a stock suspension (I'll pull the mudflaps and hammer the pinch weld) with 4.5" BS wheels?

Stock but here's a pic anyways.
tundra.jpg

What is the stock tire size? I went to a 295/65/18 on my 08 tundra and I have a level kit sitting on the garage shelf. No rub no problems. I would guess you could get away with an inch or two in size difference! Btw, low range offroad, Makes a top coil spacer that many tundra owners have had good luck with. They come with a diff drop kit to keep geometry close to stock! The bilstein 5100 will give lift as well, but you will still have to compensate for the angle of the cv by doing a diff drop!

Nice, I have never dealt with spacers! If they fit run em for a bit to get a feel for it. Check the torque after a couple hundred miles and call it a day.

Yeah so I think I'm gonna run a 1.5" wheel spacer with my fj60 wheels and 33x10.5s on the Tundra. Oh and I'm ordering my Bilstein 5100s for up front on the Tundra. Coil spacers are baaaad, emkay?

then run down some used 35-38s and mount them on the LX450 rims, then onto the Battlewagon...

57215d1292001809-15-wheel-fits-spacer-tell-me-tundrawheel.jpg

I don't see an issue with the wheel spacers. If it helps make the 285s fit it should be fine. I'm thinking you'll have to do the pinchweld and still lift it a bit (1-1/2" maybe even 2"). The Bilsteins have several notches on them from stock height and up to 2-1/2", you can always start on the low end and raise it if the tire rubs.

I did (for about 75,000 miles) run a 3/4" Daystar poly coilover spacer (on top of the coilover) It gave me a 1-1/2" lift and let me run the 255/85/16s (still had to do the pinchweld it rubbed on compression while turning). A mild spacer lift will survive, but the Bilsteins or other aftermarket coilovers are better. I think the people that have issues are trying for the 3" worth of lift.....I never wanted to get that high so no problems for my set.

Nice truck BTW.....

As for your lift and tire rubbing...the pinch weld hammering usually works for what your trying to accomplish. 1 1/2 - 2" is the MAX you want to go without modifying the CV boots and replacing the upper control arms with a uni-ball style arm (Camburg or Total Chaos). Also, look into getting the diff drop spacers...will extend your cv life. I have ICON c/o (set at 2 1/2 of lift). Camburg upper arms, 930 cv boots, Total Chaos diff drop, and I have nearly 90k with zero problems.

Now, I run glass up front, but prior to that I hammered the pinch welds and ran 285/75/16 w/4.5 bs and only rubbed with EXTREME articulation :D

for a TON more info than Tundrasolutions about off road Tundras, check out SoCalTundras

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna shave off a little more of these Toyos before I do the swap.

I'll definately check out SoCal Tundras as well, Tundrasolutions seemed a little bush league.

been running the 33x10.5 BFG ATs for about 15k now, then today I found some 16x8 FJ80 non-USA spec steelies on craigslist.

set of 5 with center caps, one with a brand new 305/70/16 BFG MT KM1 mounted on it and got it all for $200

woot! I love these wheels and this is the first set I'd ever seen on CL.

now to decide on what to wrap them with, tempted to go 305s on all four, just got some Duratracs on the wife's Pathy, they seem nice, thinking about Revos as well though. thoughts?
IMG-20111121-00289.jpg

been running the 33x10.5 BFG ATs for about 15k now, then today I found some 16x8 FJ80 non-USA spec steelies on craigslist.

set of 5 with center caps, one with a brand new 305/70/16 BFG MT KM1 mounted on it and got it all for $200

woot! I love these wheels and this is the first set I'd ever seen on CL.

now to decide on what to wrap them with, tempted to go 305s on all four, just got some Duratracs on the wife's Pathy, they seem nice, thinking about Revos as well though. thoughts?

I like the 285 revos on my fzj80. I don't see any point to going taller than 285s on your pos truck.

I like the 285 revos on my fzj80. I don't see any point to going taller than 285s on your pos truck.

I think you're right but since I had the spare 305 it pushed me over the edge to want 305s all around.

Issue is that those FJ80 steelies are rubbing a little on the caliper:
80435d1322004906-can-i-take-little-off-caliper-img-20111122-00292.jpg

can I just shave about 1/16" off the inside corner, they look beefy enough.

grrrr...

I would hit them with the grinder instead of possibly wearing down the inside of the wheel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom