2002 with 52K, is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm giving up on the 2002 from the original post because the stealer doesnt want to budge on the price yet. I really dont want to go for the LR4 as I plan to keep this vehicle long term and I am afraid of the possibilities of high and frequent maintenance costs. This being said I have found a 2004 LX470 fully loaded with 80K on the clock and the dealer is asking 24 grand. I think I will drive it and decide from there, besides the obvious items are there any specific model or year issues I should be looking for when I check it out. I am hopeful they will negotiate on the price but not convinced yet that they will.
Thanks for all the feed back, just confirming my initial thoughts about the LR4, just star struck by the pretty trim, shiny buttons, and plush leather.

^Price seems in line for year and mileage. Check CV boots for seepage. Put AHC through all it's positions. Put VIN into Lexus.com to see service history. Might be able to negotiate a timing belt service as it's past 7 years even though it only has 80k miles. Best to get a thorough PPI.

I think I will drive it and decide from there, besides the obvious items are there any specific model or year issues I should be looking for when I check it out.
Thanks for all the feed back, just confirming my initial thoughts about the LR4, just star struck by the pretty trim, shiny buttons, and plush leather.

I'd check all the big things... Under body rust, make sure all body panels line up and doesn't looked like it's been worked on, check all the glass including windshield (aftermarket windshield can be a bad sign) if it's been replaced and the moldings look original can be something that will cost $$ to fix, high speed test drive, tires, CV joints, power steering rack boots, valve cover gaskets, AHC operation and AHC fluid level, make sure it drives decent over bumps and doesn't feel harsh, power side mirror operations, make sure it comes with a master key, inspect the rear hatch for signs of leaking, make sure it comes with third row seats....

All that and the service history. It's probably only needed driveline fluids, AHC fluid, and oil changes to 80k miles.

My big question I guess is the engine update and other updates on the 2006-07 model really worth it? I know that horsepower isnt always easy to come by and I will be towing a boat a fair bit so that is my biggest reasoning for trying to hold out for a later model.

I've owned 4 100 series. If I were you I would look for a low mileage, rust Free, 2003-2005. Your going to get a little more HP from the 2006-2007 but you will also have to deal with the air pump issues that can cost you big $$$ to repair, plus several 2006-2007 owners have been dealing with their trucks losing power and not starting in high heat travel conditions with no one Able to figure out why. Do a search.

I agree that the price is too steep. And I'm assuming it's from Maine as well (as opposed to the desert southwest)? You're wise to pass.

Back in 2011 I bought an '02 LX 470 with 43,000 miles for 24K.

The '06-'07' may be the best of the breed, but my recollection is a lot fewer were sold, and in my opinion the premium they seem to command in the used market seems high for what they offer above the '03-'05 models.

I bought mine from a Lexus dealership and they made a production of having it all shiny in what I'll call a "presentation room" with a sign saying this vehicle prepared for so-and-so. They also touted their 163 point inspection. But it is still a used car and I got on my knees and my back and crawled around (evidently Lexus buyers don't normally do this). RF CV boot was leaking, the radiator coolant was low, and there were a few other things I noted. I had traveled over 1,000 miles and I was not pleased - and let them know it. What's the point of an inspection if you don't fix items that need repair? The point of the story is regardless of who you buy it from you must take the time to check it out thoroughly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom