2002 HZJ76 EGR Delete - Glow Plug Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This may be a tough one, as these units are pretty rare on this side of the pond... but I recently added a well needed Turbo, and did an EGR delete on this cruiser, but after the EGR delete, (with the vacuum sensors unplugged and removed) the "Glow" light on the dash remains lit up after the engine is running.

Most forums seem to indicate this is simply Toyota's EGR/Emissions "check light" and this seems to be true, as the superglow seems to operate normally, the glow light goes out and you can start the engine fine, then once running, the glow light comes back on and stays on. I can only assume it is because one of the unplugged switches needs to be sending a signal it is not. I may need to put in a crossover wire, or something to cancel the light since the EGR does not exist anymore.

Does anyone have any experience with this vintage of Cruiser and what to suggest? The two disconnected modules, one was a vacuum sensor (three prong plug), and the other looks like a vacuum/solenoid operated switch(two prong plug).

I may need some of the brothers/sisters from down under to chime in on this one, as these units are far more common there and there MUST be folks elsewhere that has turbo'd and/or EGR deleted some of these.

My thanks in advance to all, for any helpful hints! If you would like to have more info, or pics, let me know and I can grab what is needed. Cheers all!

- Rigs

I have worked out a solution, but it requires leaving the hoses and VSV's on the engine. EGR valve can be removed.

I received an email from a fellow @APX turbo's in Australia regarding my conundrum of the poor man's check engine light (glow coil light) on my dash coming on after doing an EGR delete at the same time as the TURBO install. They said to leave all the EGR stuff on the truck, and just plug the hoses with ballbearings, and to make sure the TPS on the throttle is sending the correct voltage...

Hmmm.... I was pretty sure I did NOT have a throttle position sensor, as the ONLY option this Land Cruiser did not come with, is cruise control. A quick check all around the fuel pump confirmed I could find no evidence of a TPS... so that left putting back the VSV's and hoses that were removed:
20210724_074640[1].jpg

Armed with questionable wits, and a partsouq diagram of the vacuum system, I attempted to recreate a 3d reality of my assumptions from the 2d diagram. I connected the missing VSV's, electricals and vacuum hoses, moved a couple of hoses to the correct routing, and ignored what was "supposed" to go to the air cleaner. I plugged the last hose that would have gone to the EGR valve with a screw:
20210724_082813[2].jpg

20210724_082831[1].jpg

I went and started the engine up and first try, the annoying coil light did not come on and stay on with the engine running!! Finally, a little ray of sunshine on my OCD! At least until I start festering over the next thing.... lol.

I would have preferred finding some more detailed info on the module they use for this and how to jumper it out, or "fool it" so it thinks all is peachy so it would not send the signal to light up the coil "engine trouble" light and avoided having all the extra hoses and VSV's sitting on the engine essentially doing absolutely nothing other than sending the right signal to the control module, but alas, the nefarious light is OUT!! lol

If I do eventually find out more on the module and figure out a way to cancel this out fully and completely, I will update. For now, this workaround seems to fix the issue for now....

Mate I am having the same issue. Just fitted a turbo and intercooler and disconnected the egr only to have the glow plug light go off and then come back on. I will follow what you have done with the tubing in an attempt to fool the module but will keep looking for a proper fix to delete the whole system. Cheers Dave

I have worked out a solution, but it requires leaving the hoses and VSV's on the engine. EGR valve can be removed.

I received an email from a fellow @APX turbo's in Australia regarding my conundrum of the poor man's check engine light (glow coil light) on my dash coming on after doing an EGR delete at the same time as the TURBO install. They said to leave all the EGR stuff on the truck, and just plug the hoses with ballbearings, and to make sure the TPS on the throttle is sending the correct voltage...

Hmmm.... I was pretty sure I did NOT have a throttle position sensor, as the ONLY option this Land Cruiser did not come with, is cruise control. A quick check all around the fuel pump confirmed I could find no evidence of a TPS... so that left putting back the VSV's and hoses that were removed:
View attachment 2739972

Armed with questionable wits, and a partsouq diagram of the vacuum system, I attempted to recreate a 3d reality of my assumptions from the 2d diagram. I connected the missing VSV's, electricals and vacuum hoses, moved a couple of hoses to the correct routing, and ignored what was "supposed" to go to the air cleaner. I plugged the last hose that would have gone to the EGR valve with a screw:
View attachment 2739973
View attachment 2739974
I went and started the engine up and first try, the annoying coil light did not come on and stay on with the engine running!! Finally, a little ray of sunshine on my OCD! At least until I start festering over the next thing.... lol.

I would have preferred finding some more detailed info on the module they use for this and how to jumper it out, or "fool it" so it thinks all is peachy so it would not send the signal to light up the coil "engine trouble" light and avoided having all the extra hoses and VSV's sitting on the engine essentially doing absolutely nothing other than sending the right signal to the control module, but alas, the nefarious light is OUT!! lol

If I do eventually find out more on the module and figure out a way to cancel this out fully and completely, I will update. For now, this workaround seems to fix the issue for now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom