2002 100 series replacement EGR Valve: Can't seem to find a replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My local service center read a "check engline" light as a "P401" code on my 2002 100 series LC...which ithey said indicated a fault in the EGR system (insufficient flow). I'm a reasonable mechanic as far as "remove and replace". (see my contribution on replacement of AC evaporator)...and thought I would just replace it and perhaps the vacume tubing vs trying to clean etc. Howevver...I can't seem to find one ANYwhere..or even an image of it...???? I have searched the internet from every angle....am I looking for something that does not exist, or does it go by a different name? I can find EGR valves for earlier (90's) models....but nothing for the 02. Does someone have a pic or schematic for the EGR system for this yr/model? .....and, where can the vacuume tubing be sourced? Many thanks!

Sounds like morons may have transposed #'s in Your 'code'? I know from beemers, mb's & Toys, You've GOT to check those vacuum hoses. hairline cracks will throw MAF & EGR Codes (too much air on wrong side of intake....red alert, red alert).
My local service center read a "check engline" light as a "P401" code on my 2002 100 series LC...which ithey said indicated a fault in the EGR system (insufficient flow). I'm a reasonable mechanic as far as "remove and replace". (see my contribution on replacement of AC evaporator)...and thought I would just replace it and perhaps the vacume tubing vs trying to clean etc. Howevver...I can't seem to find one ANYwhere..or even an image of it...???? I have searched the internet from every angle....am I looking for something that does not exist, or does it go by a different name? I can find EGR valves for earlier (90's) models....but nothing for the 02. Does someone have a pic or schematic for the EGR system for this yr/model? .....and, where can the vacuume tubing be sourced? Many thanks!
got out my handy dandy Volume 2 (probably 1k+ pages) of the '02 Toyota Factory Repair manual & EGR is not referenced Anywhere therein? It Does Have an extensive 2nd Chapter titled 'Emission Controls' (just nothing on EGR Valves)? Me thinks You may be in search of a unicorn? Maybe a Pink Unicorn? Maybe take it to another person w/an OBD code Reader & see what they say? (It's actually a pretty simple mistake, if they plugged in wrong make, model or year, they get an incorrect readout as to what the code references?) My bet is You're losing vacuum w/a cracked hose. Cheap fix but often hard to chase down Which Hose? Also seen weird codes for plugged up PCV Valves & evap's formerly on these? When was the last time You changed PCV valve? (good news is they are cheap?)

Hello again sorry for late reply; been out for awhile but wanted to provide brief update. I do believe the code was a little "off"; but still related to emission controls/vacuum system. I found references to VSV (vacuum switching valve) and thought I would start there. In attached pic you can see it right near middle of picture--I contacted local Toyota dealer and ordered this part (see attached pic). The original part number (as indicated on the one I removed) has been changed to the number seen in the picture). I requested to pick up part at dealer parts counter and it arrived in just a few days (!) Removed and replaced....so far, so good...but I realize it may take awhile to really assess if this solved the problem (of course, when I disconnected the battery, the check engine light cleared--however I know it could be a week or a month before it decides to trip again). So I will start here. In the meantime I think I'll replace some of the vacuum lines in case there are any leaks there (couldn't see any, but at 20 yrs who knows?)
Regards, and thanks for the replies.....this site is invaluable and I appreciate the input of everybody out there--
IMG_1692.jpeg
IMG_1709.jpeg

Hello again sorry for late reply; been out for awhile but wanted to provide brief update. I do believe the code was a little "off"; but still related to emission controls/vacuum system. I found references to VSV (vacuum switching valve) and thought I would start there. In attached pic you can see it right near middle of picture--I contacted local Toyota dealer and ordered this part (see attached pic). The original part number (as indicated on the one I removed) has been changed to the number seen in the picture). I requested to pick up part at dealer parts counter and it arrived in just a few days (!) Removed and replaced....so far, so good...but I realize it may take awhile to really assess if this solved the problem (of course, when I disconnected the battery, the check engine light cleared--however I know it could be a week or a month before it decides to trip again). So I will start here. In the meantime I think I'll replace some of the vacuum lines in case there are any leaks there (couldn't see any, but at 20 yrs who knows?)
Regards, and thanks for the replies.....this site is invaluable and I appreciate the input of everybody out there--View attachment 3093056View attachment 3093059
Not trying to be a smartazz (always taught "to 'see' everything under the hood b4 closing") and Glad that itty bitty switch appears to have been Your problem, BUT....Brother While what's there looks Gorgeous, You REALLY NEED TO ADD SOME BRAKE FLUID?!!o_O
:oops:

Thanks! Yea I should top it off up to the "MAX" indicator. Good catch. Will do on next trip out. The engine light has not re-appeared since the vacuum valve replacement yet, but I have not been driving it much lately...I'll provide update a little later. Cheers--

Long-term update: So far no problems with the vacuum valve I replaced--(see pictured above). Not throwing any codes and everything appears to be functioning ok. Yay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom