2001 tundra pull's hard right! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2001 tundra 4x4 SR5 with BFG's 265-75-16 AT KO's.

Still pulls right with 2 alignments and 2 set's of tires..yikes..

What else should I look at here? Sterring wheel is not centered.
When driving any speed, I take hands off of sterring wheel and it pulls hard right...just did balence and rotatoin, no diff.

Taken to dealer last year to get alignment, they said everything fine.

any help would be great! thanks.

Does it pull to the right in the left lane of a divided highway?

Some cars have a compensation for road crown, some don't.

Hi gumby,
it pulls hard right in any lane, any road, any speed, even on dirt roads.....would like to get this prob. sorted out soon! :bang:

The steering wheel not being centered is certainly a flag to me. Is it trying to center the steering wheel thus it pulls to the right or which way is the steering wheel out when the wheels are pointed straight ahead? If you can get the steering wheel centered properly that would be a first for me.

Maybe overlooked but air pressure is the same??

In the mean time though next I would check to see if the brakes or a wheel bearing is dragging on the right side.. maybe jack up the wheel to try this. If you have a temperature gun I have gone for a short drive and then compared side to side temperatures to see if something is dragging/generating more heat.
If you have your right front wheel in the air I would tug/push on the wheel to check ball joints, tie rod ends etc for excessive clearance as well.
I'm not sure what a typical allignment machine does now but you should be able to get the print out of the camber,caster and toe-in settings they found and left your front end at last time you where in. Compare these to Toyota's specs.
Maybe you should have a 4 wheel allignment done in case something is buggered in the back end..any accident history on this unit? Wheels straight ahead and a quick tape measure check to compare axle center to center left side and then right side can be a flag.
Wheel Alignment A Short Course a quick allignment reference

Last edited:
Go over to Tundrasolutions.com and search "DJ's alignment specs". He's the alignment guru over there, and following his alignment figures seems to solve a lot of peoples problems with poor alignments.....oh and shop around for a different alignment joint....even if they couldn't get it perfect the steering wheel should be straightish....

We still haven't heard if the steering wheel isn't centered because of the pull. A stuck caliper could cause a pull that has to be compensated with by turning the wheel. An alignment shop would set the wheel to centered when the wheels are straight.

Thanks all for the good info...will start trouble shooting next week!!!

Thanks again...44

Just bought a 1997 4runner. Runs like new, except for the truck pulling right too.

I went to a toyota dealer and asked for an alignment, and after checking it the mechanic said he couldn't do it because a specific part was fixed in rust. He told me it was common of toyota trucks from late-90s to mid-00s. He also told me that I could do hundreds of alignments on the car, it would always pull right unless I replaced the part. At least he had the decency to tell me instead of just taking my money.

I'm french, so I don't know the name of the part in english. In french we say "tabs". It's a part that's supporting the front suspension.

Hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom