2000 LC Aftermarket Steering Rack?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2000 LC, 160K miles, stock suspension. I knew this was coming, and now it has arrived. I got a scare when my stabilization system braked the LF while taking a left hand sweeper on the freeway at speed. It has done it twice since. There is excess play on both sides. My rack is solidly mounted, so the bushings aren't the problem. I suppose that I could try to readjust the preload, but I am leaning toward replacing the rack. I know that I can get a new OEM rack for about $600, but I have seen aftermarket racks for under $300.

Does anyone have experience with these aftermarket racks?

Don't get aftermarket parts like this. Especially not for something as crucial as your steering rack. It will just wear out 5x as fast and generally isn't made to the same quality spec that OEM is made. Think about it, your OEM rack has lasted 13 (almost 14) years without needing replacement. Aftermarket items like this are not made to the same high quality standard, and you would need to replace it much more frequently.

Save yourself some coin in the long run and stick with OEM, it's just not worth saving $300 for something so important.

^Great advice. Not worth the 200-300 in price difference if you have to replace it in 5 years. Just curious, what is actually wrong with your rack? Obviously it's leaking some at least by now.

Are you sure though that the OEM and aftermarket are actually different? It could be the same builder or re-builder supplying both Toyota OEM and the Aftermarket. Would be great to put them side by side and compare if it has not been done already. It's another boring and expensive part I will also need sooner than later.

I had an aftermarket installed and it lasted less than 15 months. Just out of the 12 month warranty on the part. The dealership helped me out with the labor costs for its replacement (WITH OEM), so it was not too crazy. I would not do anything but OEM for the steering rack. No scientific data to support this, but I had feel the failure was due to inferior quality in the aftermarket rack.

Are you sure though that the OEM and aftermarket are actually different? It could be the same builder or re-builder supplying both Toyota OEM and the Aftermarket. Would be great to put them side by side and compare if it has not been done already. It's another boring and expensive part I will also need sooner than later.

Completely different suppliers.

Toyota rack is not a remanufactured part. It is new made by JTEKT in Japan.

Aftermarket ones will either be Chinese (possibly Thai, Taiwan, etc) or American manufacturers like Moog, Cardone.

I had an aftermarket installed and it lasted less than 15 months. Just out of the 12 month warranty on the part. The dealership helped me out with the labor costs for its replacement (WITH OEM), so it was not too crazy. I would not do anything but OEM for the steering rack. No scientific data to support this, but I had feel the failure was due to inferior quality in the aftermarket rack.

Completely different suppliers.

Toyota rack is not a remanufactured part. It is new made by JTEKT in Japan.

Aftermarket ones will either be Chinese (possibly Thai, Taiwan, etc) or American manufacturers like Moog, Cardone.

OK guys that does it for me, OEM it shall be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom